Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a stock 2006 Cruiser with the standard 15" wheel and tire we bought used last summer-- a tire question, can we go up to a 16" trailer wheel and tire for our rigso wecangain a bigger load-carrying capacity for the tires?

If not, what's the current thought on trailer tires these days.....it seems the popular Les Schwab tiresmade in China the quality control leave a lot to be desired, we've had blowups and also friends running 5th wheels. Right now, everyone is recommending Goodyear Marathon tires. Is that the best are there for a 15" trailer tire?

thanks for your help!

Ed and Deb
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Maxxis seems to be the tire of choice in the 15" size. They make a load range E tire in the 225/75/15 size also.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I don't know about going up in size. I think some people on the forum here have done that but I am not sure. As far as 15" tires... We replaced our original tires with Maxxis tires. They seemed to be the best 15" available from what I could find.I looked at Marathons but at the time they were being made in china and I had not heard good things about them. I had read and was also told that only the 15" were being made in china. All the other Marathons were being made in the USA. I don't know if that was true or not. I do understand that someone on this forum recently put Marathons on that were made in the USA and I think they were 15" so maybe things have changed. Even still, if I had to replace tomorrow I would put the Maxxis on again. Just my 2 cents.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Boy, This is almost as bad as asking a political question LOL. I'm so glad I don't need tires right now. I'm not looking forward to having to make this call as there are so many thoughts out there you can drown so fast.

Good luck
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Yeah........and the damn tire store are really hesitant to offer opinions when it comes to trailer tires, especially the 15" ones on 5th wheels. I'm even having trouble finding a Maxxis dealer here in Sacramento, Ca.....

I do appreciate everyone taking the time to offer up their experiences!
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Boy, This is almost as bad as asking a political question LOL. I'm so glad I don't need tires right now. I'm not looking forward to having to make this call as there are so many thoughts out there you can drown so fast.

Good luck
Not needing tires right now will give you time to take a swimming class so you will be ready.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We were just going round and round elsewhere here and depending what part of the bed I sleep in every morning I have a difference in opinion....wish it were as easy as politics. I'm thinking Maxiis though up a rating to E. I'd buy XPS Ribs and new 16" wheels but it's 2 grand---the Maxiis are a little over 500.

But talk to me tomorrow
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Oh I'm so not looking forward to this day, You guys figure it our for me and in the mean time I will cross my fingers that I don't have issues.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote