Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Have a 2013 CFL 28 Cruiser Aire (5th wheel). After a cross country trip I noticed the Right Rear's outer edge has worn down to the wear indicators. The rest of the tires have plenty of thread,they show no signs of abnormal wear. Actually the other 3 tires look great. Had some rough roads but don't remember hitting anything major.

Heading to the alignment shop tomorrow (dealers recommendation) and see what's going on. Any body else have similar problem or experiences to pass, I would appreciate. Other wise the camper has been great.Thanks
Edited by: HCFR34
RVCRUISER34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

You are in a LARGE group of trailer pullers that has had this happen. And you are doing the correct thing by taking it to an alignment shop. And I would stick the manufacturer of the axle or Crossroads for using them as a suppler,with the bill of the alignment shop and cost of a new tire, just for not taking more pride in there work.

Just my opinion
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I had a similar problem on my 32SB - turns out the axle was bent just enough on that one side to cause premature wear of one tire. I would definitely have the axle(s) checked for abnormal movement or whether they are bent.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Were they able to realign it or did the axle have to be replaced? Edited by: HCFR34
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I had the same issue with my previous '04 Cruiser. Crossroads provided a replacement tire and directed me to an alignment shop and later reimbursed me for the alignment cost. Generally the axle won't be replaced unless the alignment shop says the existing axle can't be adjusted.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The axle had to be replaced - as well as the tire. The cost - over 1000 dollars was covered by the non-RV dealer who sold us the trailer. We got lucky.... The tech who did the job (works for SLH - they repair semis and trailers for a living) said it looked like someone tried to jack the trailer up using the axle as the lift point. Probably with a bottle jack....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have commented on this in here before. I have about 3000 miles on the original tires on the 2011 Cruisers 325MK. At about 2500 I started seeing wear on the outside thread on all tires. I took it to a shop and had the tires balanced and had the axles checked. The front axle is toed in about 1/8 inch. I have driven the 500 miles since this and now 1 of the front tires is wearing..scuffing....feathering or whatever in an area all the way across andabout 1 foot around the circ.. The other 3 tires look OK. I have read that the wear life of ST tires is 5000 to 12000 miles and age limit 3 to 5 years. I don't trust the tires but will probably put the spare on the bad one and see what happens before buying new ones. Then thequestion of what to buy. I am looking at the Goodyear Marathons or Firestone Transforce

albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

What is a good quality trailer tire these days?I used to like Denmans (spelling?), but they have gone out of business. I believe this has been discussed before, any recommendations?
Edited by: HCFR34
Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr

Â*Â* I have commented on this in here before.Â* I have about 3000 miles on the original tires on the 2011 Cruisers 325MK.Â* At about 2500 I started seeing wear on the outside thread on all tires. I took it to a shop and had the tires balanced and had the axles checked. The front axle is toed in about 1/8 inch.Â* I have driven the 500 miles since this and now 1 of the front tires is wearing..scuffing....feathering or whatever in an area all the way across andÂ*about 1 foot around the circ.. The other 3 tires look OK.Â* I have read that the wear life of ST tires is 5000 to 12000 miles and age limit 3 to 5 years.Â* I don't trust the tires but will probably put the spare on the bad one and see what happens before buying new ones.Â* Then theÂ*question Â*of what to buy.Â* I am looking at the Goodyear Marathons or Firestone Transforce
Â*
Â*
Another option to consider is the Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD. This so far is my preference next time around. Price isn't cheap but reasonable considering it is a safer option.

We put 5,000 miles on our other TT last year - had new Carlisle radial trail but smaller in a D rating and didn't show any wear. First year with the Cruiser and we will probably put on 3,000 or more miles this year. If they don't wear we'll I will change them next year before we go to Alaska as that will be another 5,000 mile trip. Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Well we are back on the road thanks to Ron's Alignment in Kalispell, MT. They had to realign the rear axle and correct the right tire alignment. Tire was towed in at the front (severely)and towed in on the bottom of the tire. It was tracking improperly and scrubbing the outer edge of the tire off. Towed, toed or camber not sure of the correct terms I hope you get the point. Front axle was off a little and they corrected that also. Replaced the tire with the spare and remounted on the proper rims and used the worn tire as a spare for now. Cost of alignment was $150 and remounting tires $28, no sales tax in MT. We thought that was very fair. Only drove about a 125 miles tonite in British Columbia on our way to Banff. So far so good.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Boy, that sounds like one heck of a good price!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Boy, that sounds like one heck of a good price!!

Agreed, $150 was the cost 9 yrs ago (which CR reimbursed).

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFR34

Well we are back on the road thanks to Ron's Alignment in Kalispell, MT. They had to realign the rear axle and correct the right tire alignment. Tire was towed in at the front (severely)and towed in on the bottom of the tire. It was tracking improperly and scrubbing the outer edge of the tire off. Towed, toed or camber not sure of the correct terms I hope you get the point. Front axle was off a little and they corrected that also. Replaced the tire with the spare and remounted on the proper rims and used the worn tire as a spare for now. Cost of alignment was $150 and remounting tires $28, no sales tax in MT. We thought that was very fair. Only drove about a 125 miles tonite in British Columbia on our way to Banff. So far so good.

Good to hear things have improved for you. You are going to enjoy Banff if you've never been there before. Make sure you drive take time to goto Lake Louise and also try totake a trip up to the Columbia Icefields on the Icefield Parkway North from Lake Louise.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Team

You should be arrested. That price was a steal. Glad you got your repairs done and your back on your way. Have a safe trip.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
BWH
New Camper

I had same problem but R Rear inner tread completely wore off. My dealer called Crossroads and after inspection changed out read axle assembly - hub not square with axle. No charge, warranty repair.
BWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I have 2012 cf335ss with 7500 Miles more or less, I have two tires on curb side wearing on outside outer edge. I contacted Lippert and they sent out two new axles and will pay part of tire replacements. They have been very helpful and did not want me to have the axles straightened. I hope this takes care of the problem as we are going to make a trip to Cloudcroft from Tulsa end of July.

I just replaced all with Goodyear Marathons. Ordered them as made in USA but when received they were stamped Made in China. Did not buy Carlisle as they were made in Chine and Maxxes made in Thailand. Guess I will have to trust that the goodyears are ok.
scrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

That sounds like exactly what mine are doing after about 3500 miles. Did you work through the dealer, Crossroads or go directly to Lippert? Thanks.....Al
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Al, I bought the unit from camping world in Tenn. No dealer in Broken Arrow so use boat and rv repair shop local. He and I contacted both Lippert and Crossroads. Lippert took care of it and never heard from CR although they have been good about warranty repairs.
scrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the information. I have been dragging my feet on this but will start with the dealer tomorrow morning. ...Al
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
BWH
New Camper

I worked through the dealer who set up an appointment for me to go to CR. (I'm lucky that I'm only about 2&1/2 hours from Topeka.) The dealer sent photos of the tire as well as talked to CR's tech service. CR contacted Lippert. When I got there, Lippert was there and inspected the axle/hub assembly. They had it taken care of in one day and we were on our way home.

BWH is offline   Reply With Quote