Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

My 06 CF29CK 5th wheel has 15 inch Power King Tow Max tires. Anyone experience tire failures on this tire?? There are significant problems with trailer S/T tires made in China. The forums on other RV sites are full of comments. Although my trailer has not been pulled much and the tires look very good, I am now concerned with the quality of tires put on at the factory. Should I be concerned???
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I had them on my unit, junk at best, I keep mine covered all the time and I used 303 protecterant on them, they still cracked, there customer service sucks at best, I threw them out and replace them with American made LT tires, make sure you check the inside sidewall, after I found 2 with big cracks on the outside I had one with an inside crack, I would strongly suggest you junk them, for the bucks the peace of mind is well worth the expense...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I too have the Power Kings. They are 3 years old and I have had no problems with them. No cracks, wearing welland I don't cover or use chemicals on them. I also haven't seen much written that indicates the problems as other brands. It might depend on the overall climate where they are used as here in the NW it is cooler than say the lower states.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I also have the Power Kings the tires are 5 years old I don't cover mine either. I do use NO Touch tire shine on mine. I have had no problem either I don't think I have lost 5 pounds in any tire since I have had them. Maybe I just got lucky.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I also have the Power Kings, 6000 last year and 3000 already this season. Leaving for NC in August, another 2000 with at least 2 more shorter trips this year. No Problems...YET. Will replace before next Easter's trip back to NC. Going to buy Maxiis E, my rims are stamped 80psi. After reading about side-wall construction, I feel ST tires are more appropriate .

Power Kings have had little or no 'bad press' as most other Chinese brands.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I've got 4+ years on my Power Kings.Last month I had the wheels off to repack the bearings.Also took them in toreplace the valve stems and had them balanced. I asked the tire tech to look them over really good when he was replacing the stems.. (One had an on going slow leak). Thinking he would be in for a sale, I am sure he gave them a good look. He reported they looked to be in good shape, should last at least 2 more years. The slow leak turned out to be a valve stem, the core was not in more thana quarterturn.

I do cover the tires when not in use because the sun shines on the curbside tires most of day where my trailer is parked. I don't have major mileage on them, may be around 14,000 miles. But some of those miles are pretty rough forestry service roads.

I also check the pressure every morning when on the road and make sure they are kept inflated at 65lbs.

I did notice the rear tire of each tandom pair was getting a little more wear than the front so I reversed their position when I remounted them. My trailer rides very level so I figure the rear tire must takemore abuse on the tight backing turns and such. When it comes time to replace I'll probably go with Maxxis but until then I feel fairly confident these Power Kings will not be a problem.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

4+ years here also on mine. Put in metal stems last summer for two reasons. While filling one up it started leaking at the rim. And the tire monitor system requires them. Tires still look as good as new except with some tread loss do to mileage. Keep the covered. May not be good but i also use tire shine. Keep them at 65psi and Keep monitoring for cracks when i clean them. Inside and out. I might just get the same ones next time. They have been great. why change a good thing.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote