Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Toilet Burps

With our old 24' TT, we would normally go six days between black water dumps. Now with the Cruiser Patriot 335SS 5er, after three days, the toilet "burps". If I wait any longer between dumps, the burps can be quit severe. It almost seems as if the vent pipe or input pipe (don't know what it is called) extends down into the tank too far. I don't really know how full the tank actually is. The gauge indicates empty but it isn't. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Your assessment of the issue sounds plausible but there may be more to the issue upon further investigation. As the water from the toilet goes down the drain, it will pressurize the black tank. This pressure is normally relieved via the vent pipe. If the vent pipe in your rig extends down into the tank it will only work properly until the liquid level of your tank reaches the bottom of the vent pipe. Now there is another consideration. You might have a large build up of solids within the tank that is displacing the amount of liquids you can add before the "burping" starts to occur (hence you only going 3 days between dumping). You also could have plugged the vent pipe. You can try dumping the tank and place a garden hose into the vent from the roof area. If the hose water can be heard going down the drain then the vent is clear. To check the black tank for a buildup, you might try a sewer camera. The later idea could be expensive to get a plumber to do it for you. Has it always done this since new?? If so, I would lean toward an issue with the vent. If not, I would lean towards a build up.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Team

If you suspect you have a build up, try and use the Geo Method to help clean the tank. Geo Method

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I've only owned this unit for a couple of months so I don't know if it has always don this. It has been consistent since we've owned it. When I dump the tank I always flush the tanks several times. I wish it was a straight shot into the tank so I could see in there.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Sounds good. I'll try the GEO method. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

The Geo Method sounds great. I also know people that drop in a bag of ice in the black water tank on the way home. It's sloshes around and loosenes things up in the tank. Then the flush it out at a rest stop on the way home.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I've heard about the ice trick but I don't plan on moving for another month. When I do move, I'll try it especially since my sensors may not be working.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Bag of ice- I watched a video on U tube where a guy poured ice into a tank made of plexi glass and put it into the back of his pickup. He then drove like a maniac (much more aggressive than you could with a trailer) around an abandoned parking lot. Result-Did absolutely nothing to the sludge on the inside of the tank.

But even more disturbing, FLUSHING OUT THE TANK AFTER AT A REST AREA????????
Old 02-16-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Bag of ice- I watched a video on U tube where a guy poured ice into a tank made of plexi glass and put it into the back of his pickup. He then drove like a maniac (much more aggressive than you could with a trailer) around an abandoned parking lot. Result-Did absolutely nothing to the sludge on the inside of the tank.

But even more disturbing, FLUSHING OUT THE TANK AFTER AT A REST AREA????????

Some rest areas have dump stations.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Don't waste the ice, use it in an adult beverage instead. I've had 5 rvs & 2 were bought new & none of the sensors worked, the new worked for a couple fills, but now all read 1/3-2/3. I dump the black once a week along with the galley & leave the other grey open til a day or before dumping black. The Geo Method did not work for me.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

We had a Shasta years ago that did what you describe. I found the inlet pipe from the toilet to the tank was installed with only 1-1/2" between the end of the pipe and the bottom of the tank. After cleaning everything well and removing the toilet I was able to put a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk on it down in the pipe and cut off almost 5" of the pipe. I then fished the cut off end to the outlet and was able to cut it into 2 pieces lengthwise and get them out through the dump valve.

It was a ton of work but it cured the burp issue.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #12
New Camper

I have the same problem with my toilet. Have tried sanitation spray letting it run for a long period. I had a vacuum breaker leaking replaced it still have the burping. Just had a new roof installed but have used camper three are four times with no problems then all of the sudden it starts the burping
rzrider55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Solved

Turns out the tank was full. No problem s with anything. No sludge. It was filling up quicker than our old camper because the washing machine is plumbed into the black water. Don't know why. The wife changed her routine so that she dumped, did laundry and dumped again. If she only washes once a week, the black water tank lasts a week.
Sach7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Glad the problem got solved. But have one question...how come alot of folks here say that "the wife" does all laundry or cooking or cleaning???
My home and trailer is gender neutral..whom ever gets to it first ,does it..just saying.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

For us, we struck a deal when we got married. I would earn a paycheck and she would take care of household duties. We''ve been happy with that arrangement for 37 years. Even without the deal, what's the chances of me getting to it first? Zero. No gender neutral for us. I stand and she sits.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Vent Stack Mishap

A co-worker had a similar problem and decided to make sure his vent pipe was clear. He stuck a garden hose down the vent stack and sealed it up tight with rags. He then pressurized the hose without opening the black water drain. YEP! He pressurized the black tank and blew a fitting in the basement. Cleanup was not pleasant and his DW was very unhappy. They now own a new RV.

Tags
blackwater, dump frequency, tank