Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm currently pulling a Jayco, approx 5000# loaded, and looking for the next trailer. My previous TV was a Tundra 4.6L and although it did work a little in the mountains, it actually did pretty well. The current TVis new, 5.7L/Tow Package/Tow Rating-10,100#, so any suggestions to "go get a bigger truck" will be smiled at and passed over. After going over the wish list of features and ammenities, and scrutinizing several possibilities, the CT29RLX keeps making it's way back to the top of the short list. I'd like to know if anyone is pulling this trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, especially a Tundra, and how it does on the road. The trailer is a little under 7000#, dry, and since we load a max of 200-300# of clothes food, and gear,and it's only DW and myself,I'm not concerned about exceeding the CCC of the truck or of the trailer. Also, if it matters, I never tow with full tanks. The exception there is I'll put 10 gal or so in the FW tank so we can flush the toilet when we stop at night when traveling. So, worst case, I think I'm looking at around 7500# loaded with this trailer with a 10,100# tow capacity. Most of our camping is weekends at the park in Central Texas with one, maybe two trips a year going through Colorado to Wyoming or Montana or to Arozona or Utah. Should I be OK with this rig or should I be looking at Ultra-Lights. I'm really interested in this paticular trailer because of contruction, insulation, and warranty. Edited by: Bob Landry
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Hi Bob, We have a 2010 CT29RLX and tow with a 2009 F150 with 5.4L engine. This is an excellent combo for us. The TV is rated for 11,300lbs. We travel from NY to Fl and went to Colorado last summer. No concerns with the mountains. While not full timers we spend 6-7 months in the unit. We have the extra insulation. I tried for thermo windows but the factory wouldn't go for that. I don't know if they are available now. I did have the dealer install cabinet doors for easy access to the water heater area. That is a must as far as I'm concerned. Having to keep removing the panel for access makes no sense. It also gave us some extra storage.If you go with this unit check the attachment of the bumper, ours had to be reinforced as the weight of the spare tire caused the factory welds to fail. That attachment problem may have been corrected on the newer units. CR paid for the repairs.

The only other problem we had was the day/night shade on the back window broke and they shipped a replacement to us in Florida. Dealer and factory service has been great. I think you will enjoy this unit and your TV should handle it well.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Wow.. How do you get 11,300 tow rating from a F150. That's wild.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Again, it is the gross weight capacity of the tow vehicle not its towing capacity. The weight of the truck, passengers, fuel, cargo, hitch and pin weight are what needs to be your concern. If the RV is as you say, 7,000 lbs then the pin weight is approximately 1,400 lbs. Your truck weighs at least 5,500 lbs.Say you and DW weigh 350 lbs together, gas @ 8 lbs per gallon for a conservative total of 160 lbs, the hitch 120 lbs = 7,530 WITHOUT cargo in the truck.

This topic is constantly beaten around most RV forums ad nauseum but the bottom line is that it would seem you have too much RV for the Tundra.

Our Cruiser is rated at about 11,600 and my truck's towing@ 14,500 lbs but I am right at the truck's carry capacity @ 9,200 lbs. The pin weight is under 1,700 lbs.

From the couple of years I have been prowling this and the other forums it just seems to me that towing a modern 5ver with a 1/2 ton is not the best thing to do.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Sorry, my original post wasn't clear. I'm looking at the CTX Conventioal Tow version, not a fiver. I would not try to tow a fiver of any size witha 1/2 ton truck.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Bob is towing a travel trailer not a FW so his TV should be fine. The F150 tow rating is with the standard factory towing packages.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Art, great advice as always but obviously you're preaching to deaf ears. The advice applies to all towables, 5ers and trailers alike. My Sunset Trail has been moved around the indoor storage facility by a garden tractor. The ability to move the weight is not the same as safe towing. If you choose to ignore Art's advice then you have chosen to have the tail wag the dog ... or the trailer control the truck. This becomes quite obvious if you have an emergency maneuver, high cross winds or a sudden stop.

Yep, I looked at the Tundra and the F150 before choosing my current truck. I'm very relaxed towing and hardly ever notice I have a trailer behind me, which makes for an easier day on the road and a more relaxed trip. That was not true towing this trailer with the F150 I had prior to the F250. More important, I'm always in control of the trailer. Until you experience the difference you may have no idea of what you're missing. Hoping that those of you with too little truck never see the day you regret your decision.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Bob-

My present situation isfairly close to the one you're considering. I have a Tundra with the same specs as yours towing a ST30BH (see my sig). Although I've never weighed mytrailer we load it andour Tundra pretty much as you're describing, but our trailer's brochure weight is lighter andI'm guessing loadedit's about 6,100 lbs. Golf clubs, generator, gas can, hiking packs, boots and bike bags go in the truck bed. Then Joyce and me up front.

That said,I feel safe in saying that I have the most challenging towingcircumstances of anyone in the Crossroads family,being asI start out from and returnto my house in Colorado at 11,000 feet elevation. Any direction I go heading out or coming back involves a high mountain pass, usually making one of those trips you mention to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. The Tundra performs very well. I put it in 3rd and hold the revs to 4,000 rpm which takes me up the 6-8% hills at 55-58 MPH. It will still accelerate but I don't want to rev higher. In fact, I started out towing this trailer with a Durango rated at 8,600 lbs. which did O.K. on the hills...but just O.K., probably like your first Tundra. Going down the other side I use the transmission mainly and the great Tundra brakes sparingly. No problem.

Love the Equal-i-zer hitch and Prodigy brake controller.Have neverhad a white-knuckle experience in winds, rain, 18 wheeler wakes, etc. in 20,000 plus milestowing.

There's my real life experiences withmy Tundra. I feel comfortable in saying that if I were in your shoes I'd go for the CT29RLX.We love the Crossroads product. Best of luck with your decision.

P.S. I'm also looking forward to towing our ST30BH downhill to Texas in March.Get your trailer and join us at the Texas Rally!

Russ

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn
Bob-

My present situation isfairly close to the one you're considering. I have a Tundra with the same specs as yours towing a ST30BH (see my sig). Although I've never weighed mytrailer we load it andour Tundra pretty much as you're describing, but our trailer's brochure weight is lighter andI'm guessing loadedit's about 6,100 lbs. Golf clubs, generator, gas can, hiking packs, boots and bike bags go in the truck bed. Then Joyce and me up front.

That said,I feel safe in saying that I have the most challenging towingcircumstances of anyone in the Crossroads family,being asI start out from and returnto my house in Colorado at 11,000 feet elevation. Any direction I go heading out or coming back involves a high mountain pass, usually making one of those trips you mention to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. The Tundra performs very well. I put it in 3rd and hold the revs to 4,000 rpm which takes me up the 6-8% hills at 55-58 MPH. It will still accelerate but I don't want to rev higher. In fact, I started out towing this trailer with a Durango rated at 8,600 lbs. which did O.K. on the hills...but just O.K., probably like your first Tundra. Going down the other side I use the transmission mainly and the great Tundra brakes sparingly. No problem.

Love the Equal-i-zer hitch and Prodigy brake controller.Have neverhad a white-knuckle experience in winds, rain, 18 wheeler wakes, etc. in 20,000 plus milestowing.

There's my real life experiences withmy Tundra. I feel comfortable in saying that if I were in your shoes I'd go for the CT29RLX.We love the Crossroads product. Best of luck with your decision.

P.S. I'm also looking forward to towing our ST30BH downhill to Texas in March.Get your trailer and join us at the Texas Rally!

Russ

Doesn't holding RPMs at 4000 hit your pucker factor just a little. I really work at keeping minearound 2000-2500 with an occasional jump to 3500. I know it not likely to happen, but I can just visualize rods coming through the block or through those aluminum heads.

I know I won't have the trailer by March, but I bet if I were to go to the rally, there might be a few folks there that might show me their trailers.. When and where is it?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Bob, if you are in the Central Texas area as we are why don't you think about coming to the Texas Crossroads Rally in March and check out some of the rigs and ask any questions you might have. You don't have to be a Crossroads owner to come. You would be more than welcome!
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Bob-

Whoops. Had to run out and check my tach. You're right, I don't hold it at 4,000..more in the 3,000 to 3,300 range. It's usually for 4-5 miles 'til I reach a summit, so don't feel too concerned. Also, I noticein "cwit"'s sig heis pulling a Zinger 5er with a Tundra. You might want to send him a private message to get his opinion.

The Texas Rally is March 25, 26 at Buckhorn Lake RV Park near Kerrville. Y'all come.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I tow my5er from NY to fl every year, 4 trips so far. I'll be towing a lot of years with my truck and enjoying it. Do I need to be told I'm over weight no because I have scaled my truck and camper and although close I am still good as I want to be. I feel safe and quite comfortable doing what I;m doing.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Well said. For those who think I'm a hazard to them on the road with my 1/2 ton truck and trailer, I'll gladly accept donations to cover the note on a new Ford diesel. Then maybe they can feel as safe on the road as we do.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit
I tow my5er from NY to fl every year, 4 trips so far. I'll be towing a lot of years with my truck and enjoying it. Do I need to be told I'm over weight no because I have scaled my truck and camper and although close I am still good as I want to be. I feel safe and quite comfortable doing what I;m doing.

Just curious from looking at your photo. You don't really see many 1/2 tons towing fivers. How much weight are you actually pulling with your Tundra?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

8300 lbs. wet total weight.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote