Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

towing with toolbox in truck bed?

We tow with a long-bed Dodge diesel. I have a Kobalt tool box that fits in the bed next to the cab. It sits up about 6 inches above the bed rail and extends into the bed about two feet. On our previous RV, I have always strapped it inside the RV on the couch; unloading it only when we get to our destination where we spend several months. I have always been afraid that I would scrape/hit the underneath side of the RV on it when pulling in to a place where the truck's rear end is down. I think this Cruiser has a longer pin box than the old Keystone RV so I'm tempted to leave it on/in the truck. Does anyone tow with a comparable tool box and if so, any problems?

2008 29CK
Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
We tow with a long-bed Dodge diesel. I have a Kobalt tool box that fits in the bed next to the cab. It sits up about 6 inches above the bed rail and extends into the bed about two feet. On our previous RV, I have always strapped it inside the RV on the couch; unloading it only when we get to our destination where we spend several months. I have always been afraid that I would scrape/hit the underneath side of the RV on it when pulling in to a place where the truck's rear end is down. I think this Cruiser has a longer pin box than the old Keystone RV so I'm tempted to leave it on/in the truck. Does anyone tow with a comparable tool box and if so, any problems?

2008 29CK
I have a 90 gal. stepped diesel tank with pump on top in my long bed without any problems. Of course I made a point of not jack knifing the rig too far even before I added the tank but still had a lot of room between 5'er and tank when I stopped. I never had any problem with vertical angle of the truck.

That said, it should be easy to measure with your box in place.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Put the tool box where you want it. Go somewhere that you can take your time and drive slow, like a big parking lot. Have someone to walk beside you while you make turns and see how close it gets. With my Cruiser I can almost completely jack knife and I have a Chevrolet with a short bed. Good luck.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a low profile across the rails tool box and have no problems.

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, all. I know the box will not "rub" when the truck and RV are level.

2008 29CK
Old 05-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
Thanks, all. I know the box will not "rub" when the truck and RV are level.

2008 29CK
I towed 2000 miles with the tool box in place with not problems. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Great. Thanks for the update. So many people come on here and ask questions; never to be heard of again.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have a low profile box in my short bed and am now running a 5th Airborne Sidewinder. Normal driving hasn't been a problem at all, but I did tag the box pulling out of a site on Monday. The road was a little higher than the site and the combination of elevation and turning/twisting of the trailer caused it to touch. Not enough to do any damage but you can see where a screw on the bottom of the bulk head scraped the top of the toolbox.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Yes, that's exactly the situation that I was afraid of with our tool box, which is HIGH PROFILE (abt 6-8 inches). I've been only fueling up at truck stops when towing because I've seen too many gas stations where there is a big "drainage" dip between it and the elevated road and you might need to also turn pretty sharply while the trailer is pointed downwards and the truck's front end is up. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk