Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We have a 2010 Cruiser 30QBX so it was probably built in 2009.

The screws that hold the trim, valence panes, this that and therefore are cheap a** junk and I recommend everyone double check/replace theirs with stainless screws.

We have heads popping off, the screws rusting in half and/or just rusting. I have simply touched a couple with my fingers and the heads popped off, so most likely they were broke at the factory and held in place with sealant.

The screws that hold the front panel had the heads pop off and the corner trim that helps secure the rubber roof membrane and front panel popped up. Luckily I caught it before any water damage occurred to the interior. I added some more screws up on the radiused part to keep everything nice and tight.

We called the dealer (an authorized Crossroads dealer) and was told it was NORMAL MAINTENANCE to have to replace screws and it wasn't covered under the so called structural warranty. Checking, stripping out and recaulking, is a normal maintenance task, but having to replace the hardware the unit was assembled with ? I am having to do to this trailer earlier in its life the same stuff that I did the Salem we had. At least their screws didn't have the heads popping off by themselves.

So far I invested a little over 13.00 in stainless screws and had some leftover silicone. I pull the old one out, put a dab of silicone on the replacement and screw it back in, snugging it up by hand so I can feel it tighten without over tightening it with the drill motor. I am about 90% done. I might have to buy another 5 to 7 dollars worth.

If you go to a nuts/bolts/screw supply business (especially if you to the time to find a small mom and pop type of place) they won't be as expensive as going to a Lowes, etc.

Not doing this could be a bit more expensive than the 20 dollar'sh and a few hours time that you will spend.

I would have gladly paid the extra 20 or even 30 dollars that it was have cost to assemble the unit with stainless screws to begin with.

Sometimes going with the lowest bidder costs a lot more in the long run. I am not happy with all the things that I have had to do/have done to this unit since we got it.

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

That is a good one for the "WHY" thread. I forgot about that one..

I actually pulled out a screw to measure and it is sitting on my desk to order stainless.. When i was on my trip down south a month ago, Someone mentioned, Wow it seams every screw on your camper is rusting. The camper looks like it was riddled with a machine gun and rusty bullets.

And i ran a test a couple years ago for when i replace all the screws. I took a 5/8" knock out punch and i punched out a dozen circles of the internabond tape and stuck them on the screws. I wanted to see what it would look like and see how it help up. Two years later, It held up and looks like the day i put the on. I have a picture someplace. I will have to look for it. Don't look bad at all.

Adding the stainless screws is on my "to do" list and to keep the water wicking into the screw i am thinking more and more about the tape as a cap seal.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

"and to keep the water wicking into the screw"</span>
That is why I put a dab of sealer on each one before running it back in. It seals the edges of the aluminum.fiberglass (ie: whatever is drilled through) and when you figure out the right amount, it seals under the head.

I did the left rear trim, the piece that runs vertical and covers the seams between the sidewall and the backwall. There was a total of 15 screws. 4 of them were broke in half and just stuck in the holes.

That is 26.6666% of the screws were broke and not doing anything.

I think later I will post pics of what these screws look like.

It must be a wonderful caring assembly crew (not) putting in these screws. Even with power equipment, you can feel when they break and simply are spinning.

Maybe they need to read these forums and raise some h*ll as it seems they might be losing their competitive edge. No matter how well something is concieved or designed, if parts are substandard and assembly labor is substandard, then you start to simply blend in with the rest of them.

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

My Cruiser screws were replaced by me back on my unit when I had it with stainless screws. I did the same thing, a dab of Proflex on each thread before I put the screws in. Yes, any of ine were sheared off, stripped in the hole, and so on. On the ones stripped, I put Gorilla glue and matchsticks in the hole.

On my Forester, I have not had any of these issues - especially the rusting issue (thankfully). The screws tend to loosen up over the miles but I can still turn them a quarter turn and snug them. One thing I like on some of the newer 5th wheels (and on my Forester) is that the screw tracks are covered in a rubber cover that looks much neater then the exposed screws.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote