Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Under belly moisture while in storage

I have a 07 Cruiser CF29RE fifth wheel currently in storage in Michigan during the winter months, its in a unheated, all enclosed, cemented floor pole building, upon checking it last week I noticed a lot of moisture on the black underbelly of the unit many water drips were hanging from the underbelly as well as the axles, the outdoor temps have been fluctuating lately and its quite cold inside the barn, I believe the moisture is coming from the concrete that the 5er' is setting on and causing the water drips on the underbelly, all water tanks are drained and water lines winterized, is this any cause for concern? I should add that there is no moisture inside the unit, thanks for the replies.
kylied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It doesn't matter how the moisture is getting into the barn, thru the concrete floor or from air infiltration. But once the moisture is inside the barn, it will condense on the coldest surfaces. The barn walls and roof will warm more than the RV, particularly the underside of the RV and that is what you are seeing. While what you have seen should not be a problem, you will also have condensation in other areas that will be more serious. Like lug nuts, brake drums, magnets, springs, etc. A dehumidifier would be a good option if you can get a drain line that won't freeze on the coldest nights. Otherwise, maybe a fan for air circulation to move warm air near the ceiling to the floor and vice-versa.

Or lay heavy plastic on the concrete where the RV is parked, then skirting around the perimeter of the RV and finally a 100W light bulb or other heat source under the RV.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ditto to Larry’s comments.
Our unit is stored in the county fairgrounds enclosed horse barn and we experience the same moisture puddle under our rig with no damaging result.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Team

If you suspect that there is a lot of moisture inside the black belly wrap, raise the front of the Rv a bit to see if it will drain out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Site Team

The moisture problem you are experiencing is the reason I have a large fan running 24/7, 365 days a year in my building that houses the camper.
When the weather starts warming up in the colder part of our country, the cement floors start to sweat, causing the water you see. I have even seen it sweat heavily in the the summer when the humidity gets extremely high.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all for the advice, concerns, and answers, this has probably happened each year I have stored it but never noticed it until recently, hopefully soon I can remove from the storage barn.
kylied is offline   Reply With Quote