Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Have a Cruiser Patriot. There is a metal strap about 1/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide that runs from side to side under belly towards rear of trailer that fell off. Is this to hold water tank up so that it doesn't fall thru underbelly of trailer? The heads of the bolts snapped off.

Thanks for any response. Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Thats the way my CF29CK is made.The tank is in the back and a piece of channel iron goes from side to side. I would not put water in the tank before checking this out further.

I had the head of a bolt break once on an F150 and the spare tire fell out onto the road. You would think they would use a higher grade bolt in an application like this.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

This is a known problem that sounds like it had a "fix" done before.

Suggest that you drop the underbelly covering and take a good look to see what's going on.
Suggest doing so before loading the tank with water and traveling any distance.

We had this "fix"done to our CF28CK, but it's been some time back.
Just curious, did you buy thisunit new or has it had a previous owner.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it is a relatively new unit with a factory installed bar, they may have over-torqued the self-tapping screws and snapped them. Then, filling the tank has pushed the bar down. Maybe all that is necessary is to install new screws with a little more care.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

The unit was purchased new in May 2011 and has a build date of March. 2011.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Hi Larry,

I was hoping you might reply as I feel your knowledge of this company and their units is tops. I think the screws were over torqued and have replaced them. The underbelly is bowed down as well as there being a bend in the bar. I'm going to go to Topeka in April and have Randy look at it. Possibly should have 2 bars installed. Normally never tow with any water in the tank and only fill it when I don't have H20 hookup.

Thanks and blessings to you, Bruce
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Bruce, I didn't have the misfortune of dropping the tank, or any supports breaking. I heard of a similar situation happening, so I added two, 3/4 in. square tubes. They fit right inside of the U irons that CR has on mine to hold the tank up. I got rid of the screws they used and drilled thru the frame lip and used bolts to hold the supports up. They say drilling the frame voids your frame warranty, but that wasn't what my concern was at the time.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

You are on the right track by renewing the bolts. Please get hold of Randy to get your problem on the record for all concerned. I have probably had as many dealings with Randy & Allen& Company since 2004 as anybody unfortunately,byt all is well becausethey are top knotch. But as I said do get your problem on the record so it covers you both! Also I believe if you can see where the screws come through if on the outside of the I beam,what harm would be done to drill the hole to a clean 5/16th & install a good quality bolt instead of a self tapper grade 2 maybe screw. Thehole is already there so you wouldn't be drilling it just cleaning itup a little to accept a good quality fastener. I did this on our 04 paridise and also on the parriot to save having this problem..This seem to be an industry problem as a friend has a coachman chapperal the tank almost fell out of.It had a couple of 2x2s and a small piece of OSB supporting the tank ,it cost him 400.00 to get it done right by his dealer JMHO jb