Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

We were putting things in our 09 CF32BL and its about 26 degrees out. I noticed our bedroom was chilly compared to the rest of the camper. When I checked the floor heat register there was very little air coming out of the vent. Just seeing if this is normal since it would be the farthest vent from the furnace Thanks in advance for any thoughts and info.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

This has been an on-going issue for many (affects the a/c ducts as well. You can add "louvered" vent covers and close the ones nearest the furnace. Check the space AFTER the last duct in each run and block it off (some ducts go 3-6' beyond the last vent opening). Others will chime in with their suggestions.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you have electricity use 1500 watt heaters to help the furnace. Try to find every leak in system and fix. You will find plenty. Do what Stan said.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Also check your furnace unit to make sure one of the blanks for additional duct work has not fallen off or might be loose. I found one completely off on our old Cruiser and one loose on our PP which will reduce air flow. I used AC/Heating aluminum tape to seal the unit up. And as Stan said I installed a couple of adjustable registers in the living area which allows me to direct more warm air to the bedroom/bathroom as needed.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My 08 CF32BL does something similar - some vents have flow, some don't have much. Strange thing is you'd think it's related to proximity to furnace, but it's not. More random than anything. Ductwork in the basement doesn't seem to be leaking, I guess I'd have to drop the underbelly to check the rest under the main floor? Good tip on checking the furnace blanks, I'll have to do that.

2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

This has been an issue for us all along. And I agree with the others of some things to checkā€?.for us we bought a $30 ceramic heater at Wal-mart and the problem has been completely solved.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><O:P></O:P>

<O:P></O:P>

And with another ceramic near the bunk endā€?.we are saving some serious propane.<O:P></O:P>Edited by: tcamper

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have the same issue, resolved some of the limited airflow by replacing a couple of the floor vents with ones that incorporate a damper / shut off.I found them at Menards for a couple of bucks ea.

I also used aluminum hvac tape to seal up the furnace box, but found that taping the box and shutting off too many vents the system wouldn't fire up, because of to much back pressure.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Pelonis disc furnace is what we mostly use....that and making sure the wife has an electric blanket, but some good suggestions on where to start the process.

Edited by: gossamar

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We closed off the vent in the Bunk room and it pushed more heat to front. Found small room doesn't need vent. We installed 2nd A/C with heat in vent in master bedroom. It is a 9200 btu polar cub from camping world and the heat strip works great.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

longhauler,
I dropped the basement wall and crawled down there to find out why. Here is what I found on ours:
The main duct that runs the length of the Cruiser is blocked off at the front of the RV. There are two 3" (or maybe 4") flexible ducts cut into the bottom of the main duct and then run forward.
There are two short 90Āŗ bends in the flex-duct making it resistive to air flow and I figure that pleated duct work slows thing down as well.

Thank heavens warm air rises after the furnace fan stops.

If a guy was very handy he could make up some smooth rectangular duct to replace the two flex-ducts. That isn't an easy location for me, an old fat man.