Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I finally decided it was time to do something about the hammer noise from the water pump every time it comes on. I've been looking at accumulator tanks and found that HD had a hot water accumulator tank for less than Camping World and it was a whole lot bigger. After checking dimensions, I decided that I could mount it in the cabinet under the stove.

I made it as far as installing a "T" in the existing line before I realized I needed an elbow for the valve and needed to make a trip to the hardware store.

I started back on it again this evening and finally got the tank mounted this evening.

Added a second strap just to make sure it stays in place. Both have backer boards in the cabinet under the frig. They don't call me king of overkill for nothing.

Since this doesn't stop the noise from the pump (only keeps the pump from coming on so frequently), I next started working on what is causing the noise. It is obviously from the pump making contact with the other structures, either through the direct mounting or the PEX pipes. So I set off to remove those contact points. I added a foam pad under the pump to help buffer it's contact with the floor (green in the photo). I added some pipe insulation around the pipes as they passed through the various cabinet walls (that I could reach). I even removed the short piece of PEX from the pump feeding the camper and replaced with a flexible hose (I think I read that somewhere on this forum).

So here is my dilemma. Even after doing all of this, the noise is still there. In fact, I want to say it is worse. Has anyone tackled this issue? Any suggestions on other things to check? I'm about ready to start shopping for a new pump.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Not sure what to say Monty, did basically the same mod to our PF36SK and achieved remarkable results. Flex lines on both inlet and discharge is the only difference I note.

Can barely hear ours running now, of course ours is in the basement, not in the kitchen, but right next to it.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have the same issue with mine and I added the same tank configuration. I think it is the PEX tubing being so rigid it just vibrates and basically transfers the pump noises through the pipe and into anything the pipe touches. Difficult to isolate. I have read that a better pump solves the issue. In our case we don't run the pump very often so buying a new pump is low "on my list'.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Very neat job.
I did the same one, only used Shurflo's accumulator tank. I didn't have room for one the size of yours. Mine eliminated the abusive hammering noise from the pump.
The main difference I see is I installed a sink pickup hose on each side of the accumulator. One of the sink PU lines goes directly from the pump to the accumulator.
You also may be getting some vibration coming from the tank being mounted on the wall if you don't have any padding between them.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

What old farmer said. He;s the man today.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Well I might try a longer flex hose on the outflow side of the pump. Maybe the 3 inch section that I replaced isn't enough to absorbe the vibration. And I'll have to study the tank mount to figure a way to insulate it as well. Thanks for the replies!

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have fought this problem several times for me & others.The best result I have had is some rubber type product under the base and 2 approx12 inch stainless flex lines like used in houses. I use the long ones so I can loop them to unload the rigid affect of straight lines even flexable. My pump is in the cabinest between the chairs but you hardly hear it except for start stop when the tank pressure is set right! IMHO
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

What is your pump sitting on?? (green block)

My pump is screwed to the floor and sits on rubber feet - I also shot spray foam in every opening the hose passes through..

The pump and tubing no longer pounds away anymore, just makes a little vibration sound

Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Sounds good : I had some rubber sheeting that I used on two or three of them I did for myself & friends.That & the flex lines looped made it real nice. One friend had his under his bed & if it ran during the night before the Mods it would stand them straight up in bed but not after. sounds as if you did a good job Later Jb
Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Jimehc, the green block is part of a foam pad that I used to help isolate the vibration from the floor. It was a gardening kneeling pad that I found on clearance. Cheap is always good.

I think adding flex hose removed most of the remaining vibration noise. I'll use it some more during hunting season in a few weeks, so I'll know for sure then.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Old 10-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

My pump is in the rear cabinet between the chairs. It was mounted to the wall of the cabinet. I re-mounted it to/thru the carpet on the floor of the cabinet. I replaced the pump with a Shurflo computer one that has more pumping chambers and is thus inherently quieter. My setup already had flex hoses for the pump inlet and outlet. This helps a lot but the hoses and the pump itself can not touch any part of the camper and the hoses needed to be re-routed a bit. Some insulation on the walls of the cabinet also help. Mine is really quiet now. I keep forgetting it is on.