Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wind Deflectors

Do wind deflectors help keep bugs off the fifth wheel?
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not really - just not tall enough...

and if you get one, won't you have to clean the bugs off the deflector

This is the best method I've found for getting bugs off:
http://bluebeacon.com/
Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Coat the front of the 5th wheel with a good polymer coating, not wax. I use Rejex. In fact, I do the whole Rv with it. It has a UV protection in it. Most everything washes right off with 0ut hard scrubbing. http://rejex.com/
Wax leaves a coating the bugs stick to. IMHO

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

There is no magic bullet for bugs. Wind deflectors, as stated are typically too short. For proof - look at the big rigs and note how high they are, plus - how close the deflector is to the trailer - aerodynamics don't lie - salesman do. Rejex, wax etc - there is a host of opinions. I use a good synthetic car wax. After a trip where I manage to collect a good sample of the bug community, I use Dawn dish soap - the bugs come off - but so does the wax - so you need to re-apply. I don't mind the elbow grease - since I paid for it, I'm gonna put the effort into maintaining it.....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

I use just plain old Turtle wax, but I don't use Dawn dish washing liquid. Like stated -- the wax is gone. I use a car washing soap on the camper then I don't have to wax it every time I wash it.
I've found if I can get at the job of cleaning the front cap as soon as possible before the sun has had a chance to bake everything on, they will come off reasonably well.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I will use bounce wet it and the bug come right off with out damaging the finish
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Our trip to Hilton Head, SC 'gathered' a few bugs - all the blue beacon truck washes I stopped at were 10 - 20 trucks deep there were so many bugs

so went by Walmart and got a bug sponge and some car wash soap...
when the girls were out shopping and the sun was behind a tree the three guys went to work on each of our rigs...
I kneeled the 5er down and backed the truck up close so I could stand on the tailgate,
sprayed the front with water and let it soak, then used the sponge and our long brush to go to work...
in less than 30 easy minutes the front was clean...

Now, on the way back had to stop at the blue beacon before we put it in storage for all the NEW acquaintances we met