Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

So we got our 41' Zinger Destination trailer about a month ago and all has been well but this past Saturday night the power goes out. Not all the power, lights were dimly lit, tv still worked, some lights worked at half power - it was very strange. The meter was running on the electric box so it was getting power, but the AC wouldn't turn on and all the lights were very dim. Had several guys in the campgrounds come over and we trial and errored abunch of things and nothing worked. Finally, we decided to swap out the 1 month old interstate battery and what do you know, everything lit up and the AC kicked on and it was fine.

So, the question is, what is happening? What is draining the battery or not recharging the battery? The inverter? I don't even know what an inverter is, but somebody said that it could be the inverter.

To top it off, we called the dealer where we got the RV and they don't have anyone who can come look at it - I guess we are on our own and have to find our own person to come diagnose and repair and then we submit the receipt to crossroads? Is that correct or how do you guys handle warranty work if you can't take it in? It's a 41' trailer and it stays at the campsite.

Thanks everyone!

Marc
mcp6530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Sounds just like a converter (not inverter) failure to me.

I had the same thing happen. Replaced the battery first then it happened again.

Got some real good advise on how to check the converter and viola, that was the problem.

In the mean time, and waiting for the converter to arrive. I bought a medium priced digital battery charger at Wally's and it did the job until I could replace the converter.

Keep in mind the unit is a DC operated unit and requires DC to operate 99.9% of the components. The only AC that is visible in the unit will be the light over the kitchen table.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
New Camper

You are not alone with your problems. We bought a 2012 Zinger ZF29BH a month ago and to date it has spent more time at the dealership than it has in our yard.
Here are the major things so far. When we received it the water would not work as both inlet valves were shut offin the pump area which we finally located after removing the lower bunk. The dealer just chewed me out on the phone for complaining about the water not working, so I was left on my own to fix this, then they appologized profusely when I told them a few days later what the issue had been. The fridgestill will only work on propane. The automatic propane regulator won't automatically switch between tanksand best yet the rear bumper ripped off 46 km down the road on our first trip. I am wondering if I got a lemon or if all Crossroads products are this bad. There are many more small things with fit and finish issues that the dealer just sloughs off now I am just hopeful to get the big things fixed from the dealer. So farwe have managed to get 5 nights camping and it has sat at the dealer's repair lot for9 nights after our first 2 day trip and is back there still after our second trip.

I wish instead of a 2 year warranty Crossroads offered a30-day money back customer satisfaction guarantee...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Give Randy a call at the customer service center,1-888-226-7496 ext. 224, he'll help you out.</span>

Sin City

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins

2005 Cruiser 29RK
Vots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Your rear bumper ripped off? How exactly did that happen?

As far as the water inlet by-pass it sounds like your stuck with a poor dealer if they give you guff for asking questions. Small interior trim issues are pretty common in a new RV, I've owned several from every major company and none of them were perfect. To be honest, if it's minor I always take care of it myself, I simply don't trust the quality of work to anyone else.

I suggest you give CR a call if you can't get a resolution from your local dealer.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Can you tell me how to check the converter? where is it located and what am I checking?

I called CRossroads customer service and she said "oh, yeah, they don't have a service department that does service calls"....ok then, thanks! she said to call the dealer in my area where it's located and get help. I've left messages for them, no return call yet. Perfect!

mcp6530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
New Camper

I think a lot of my concerns are from the dealer not doing a full and proper PDI.

The bumper failer was mainly due to a bike rack our dealer sold us as part of the deal, apparently the bumper can't take a bike rack and the spare tire at the same time. The welds held, but the metal in the bumper was so cheap it ripped all around the welds. I have a picture if anyone wants to see.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6530
Can you tell me how to check the converter? where is it located and what am I checking?

Locate your circuit breaker box or panel. It's normally by the entry door for center opening doors. If your door is elsewhere it's probably in the vicinity of the entertainment console.

It will normally have a split panel door the is hinged in the middle.

Look on the far right side of the circuit breaker row and you'll find two lugs of heavy duty wire, approx #8. Find the +(pos) lug and place the +side of an amp meter lead on that lug.

Take the -(neg) side of the amp meter wire (black) and place it against the circuit breaker case where bare metal is exposed.

You should be able to read approx 13.5 volts that's is coming from the converter to the battery. If not, your converter has failed and your battery will run down depending on how much draw you have.

Since the unit requires DC, even to operate some the items on AC, most everything will cease to operate. As you have probably noticed your lights will start to get dim and you may even hear a chirping sound coming from the CO2 detector.

If the converter is bad, it's no big deal to change. However, if you don't understand both AC and DC circuitry it's best to let someone else change it out. If your unit is under warranty, then let the dealer do it. If he can't do it, ask CR to locate an authorized service center than can. CR will normally make arrangements to get it done and you'll have no out of pocket costs. If the unit is out of warranty, you're own your own.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
New Camper

To ARRVEE,

I completely understand your frustration. We bought a new Zinger Z29DB last June. I have spent more time in the dealer than I have in the trailer. It was back to the dealer 3 days after we bought it and has been nothing but problem after problem. They have been working on it since April, waiting for parts from Crossroads and then when they finally get them they don't fit. I too so wish they had a money back policy... I even offered the dealer where we bought it our trailer and a few thousand in cash to order us a new one...no go.

I was unable to reach Randy at the company, so I emailed them twice and didn't get a response to either email. Your dealer sounds like ours...nasty and rude. Very Sorry we bought a Zinger and very sorry we went to Leisure Days RV dealer. Edited by: OntarioCamper
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

we had a similar issue recently, the AC was out, the firdge wouldn't work on gas or electric, and half of the power outlets were out but we had lights, some outlets working and microwave working. Try checking your fuses. We had one of the 40 amp fuses blow (the protective fuse from the battery). Replaced it and problem solved, everything is back in working order. Good luck.

on edit: camping world on dick pond road in myrtle beach was very very helpful to us in trying to fix this on our camping trip (we bought from CW in colfax NC but this was CW in myrtle beach helping us). They were trying to rearrange things to get us a service man to our site but couldn't do it. Talked to us on phone a few times. When we finally figured out the problem we went to get the fuse, they were out but the guy at the parts desk called all around town to try and find it for us and even gave us the names/numbers of a few mobile service guys to try. We ended up finding the fuse at autozone (who knew?). Fixed the problem and rest of trip was great. Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I hope Crossroads folks are reading this, sounds like the Zinger line may need to refocus on ensuring a decent product so folks aren't so disgusted in the first few months the want their $$$ back! Sounds like the dealers are compounding the issue.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

It's frustrating to have problems with new products but a good dealer should fix them with no problem. I was frustrated at first with my zinger having a bad axle and bad tires the first camping trip but it was fixed. I now have a slide problem that I knewexisted on allot of trailers and its now fixed. I will say I have noticed the newer trailers are not the same fit and trim as mine and I wouldn't buy another at this time. I went to trade mine for a newer model that had a floor plan that better served my family and the 3 we looked at had majorexterior flaws. When looking down the side of the trailer you could see where the wall framing must have been off or missing. Some of the siding looked like it had no wall stud to attach to and the siding had big waves in it. Some spots looked to be pushed in 2 inches within a 2 foot section of the siding. Hope things get better because I really would like another TT.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

our zinger has been in for new carpeting, fix the awning that wouldn't stay up, and realign the drawers. All was fixed under warranty no questions asked but it did involve more than 1 trip to a dealer almost 2 hrs away. Now we saw water leaking from the bottom of the pack n play door and it doesn't close quite right. That will need to go to the dealer to get looked at. So far I have to say both camping world and crossroads have stood behind their work but having to take it back and forth to the dealer gets a little maddening as we waste so much gas doing so.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
New Camper

Our dealer has finally started fixing things but it is a chore to get them fixed and I am focusing now on the big issues. I think the lesson I have learned is to buy from a very near by dealer if you buy a Zinger as you will need to make multiple trips back to the dealership for repairs during the warranty period.Edited by: ArrVee