Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
New Camper

The air flow out of the 4 floor vents is hardly noticeable. The heat is barely perceptable.
What can I do to get some heat?

What I've done:
1. put covers over the center two vents...very little improvement in volume, and no improvement in heat.
2. checked heat coming out of exhaust. I can put my hand within 3-4 inches and not get burned.
3. using a mirror can tell there are no restrictions in the floor ducting.
4.put blocking at front and rear floor duct.
5. checked fan and it is running fine and making normal volume of noise for a furnace.
6.furnace ran all night with low of 34 degrees outside without shutting off or maintaining 72 degrees inside
7.this is my first outing with this unit and maybe this is all I get!?!?

Furnace unit is an Atwood 8525 and appears to be in good condition.
Is the low air volume normal?
Do I need to takeunit out and apart to verify burner.
Is this unit too small? Do I need a different brand furnace?

Looking for advice and input from others with this same TT.

y2kvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I'm not really versed in the furnace and I'm sure others will chime in...but my first thought goes to the LP and how much pressure you're getting. I'm sure they can get plugged or run sluggishly at times. Think about checking that out?

Good luck,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check the furnace for any blank covers having come off. Make sure all duct connections to furnace are tight. Check blower and blower compartment for blockage.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If your in Fl. and have a 26 ft. tt you should be able to heat with a single 1500 watt electric heater. WE have a zf27rl and heat down to 15 degrees with 2 electric heaters. As far as the furnace. I would tape all joints in any flex hoses and check for leaks where ducks come through floor. Ther is a fan switch on thermostat you could see if its on low or high. I don't know if this just does ac or will do furnace also.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I believe the fan switch on the thermostat only controls the a/c fan speed. Furnace speed is fixed.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I thought it might be but not sure. I never use mine.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
New Camper

I have not checked the LP pressure. How does one go about that? Is there a gauge I can get to accomplish that check?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kvette

I have not checked the LP pressure. How does one go about that? Is there a gauge I can get to accomplish that check?
Yes, there is a gauge for checking the LP pressure. I highly recommend that you contact either a service tech, or the local LP Co. you get your LP from to do this job for you.
But first, if I was you I would check to see if any of the furnace plates are off/missing/slightly ajar, etc.
If you don't have much air flow I would lean in that direction rather then LP pressure.
Low air volume is not an LP issue.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
New Camper

Actually, I think there are 2 issues: air volume and heat quantity...and maybe a too small furnace.
The air volume I think I have solved to the best of the unit. The heat quantity is either LP pressure or burner related. So, I would like to check the LP pressure first as it is much easier than taking the unit apart to check the burner. What and where can I get a pressure tester?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I am not certain of your tt layout but I have the 06 zinger 24' fb with the Atwood 8500 series furnace that sounds very similar to yours in most ways. First don't mess with the furnace gas regulator settings unless you don't want to sleep well. That being said I had my regulator adjusted shortly after puchase under warranty by a tech. If your gas hot water heater is igniting and stove working well than it sounds like gas pressure is not a problem. Start simple, the analog thermostatmay havea fan setting that allows for constant fan even when the furnace heat has discontinued. Mine also has a setting that shuts the fan off (and high and low) when it warms and turns-off the furnace or runs the blower all the time. The thermostat is not very accurate so rely ona seperate digital temp display like a weather station to determine actual temperature. A small electric space heater can get you a lot of heat for the buck compared to propane costs. I only use that when I'm awake though. I don't know if you might have freeze/condensation issues in Fla.I'm betting on the thermostat. Good luck,

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
New Camper

I substituted a known good LP regulator with no change.
I think the air volume is normal after talking to Crossroads and Atwood.

The thermostat is working ok as I tested the heat with it at max ~90 degrees and the burner is running continuously.

At this point the only real concern is that there is very little heat coming out of the registers (and the exhaust).
Next I will take the unit out and apart to inspect the burner...and if necessary field test out of the trailer.
Otherwise, I may replace the unit with a 35K BTU Atwood or Suburban.

Only have 1-2 more months of needing furnace here in Florida, then will test the A/C for the rest of the year.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Does trailer get warm? Our furnace "blows" softly from only 3 round vents, but heats well. I did tape off the bedroom vent to direct more towards rear of trailer (bedroom would be quite warm), but a wind tunnel this is not.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
New Camper

Last used outside temp go down to 35 degrees. The furnace ran all night and never got to 70 degrees on thermostat. I'm gonna pull unit and inspect the burner as it is not putting out very warm heat. thanks for your input.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

On our 2011 Zinger, the thermostat fan setting must be in "auto" (not "hi" or "low") to operate the furnace.
manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We have a 2011 Zinger 29BH have camped one fall in NH 29F at night. The heater ran awesome. However, not considering the TT was new that year, we smoked up the TT we the oil that burned off. Sort of funny, we had all the windows open, still had plenty of heat! If you are getting low flow out the registers I would look at where the air is pulling from. You may here the motor running but is the wheel turning, or just riding the shaft? It may not be running at the correct speed.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Have you check LP pressure at the heater or at the regulator.
Lebo

Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Good to inspect, but keep in mind 29 is cold camping.

We tend to use an electric portable heater just to supplement so we aren't burning propane like it is going out of style.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote