Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just purchased our New 2011 Zinger ZT26BH in Aug 2011. We have had a few issues with it. First off, we put it in a Seasonal Campground...we do not pull it. We had to have Fridge Repaired and The furnace repaired. Now I notice that the 2 Front Storage doors are leaking when it rains....when I look at the back side of thedoor from inside the trailer..I can see it dripping from inside and from the top part of the storage doors ( Top Hinge Area ) Our dealer has closed and new dealer are taking over warrany work, but they are not sure when and can't tell me when. I really don't want to let this get worse. I was thinging about putting a Drip Cap Part # 124-7 over each of the 2 Storage doors, is this a bad or a good idea?

I am new to this forum, I hope I am explaining my problem right??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Wadetech

wadetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

There's not a lot to the doors so you should be able to fix this yourself. First, is the frame seam at the top of the door? If it is there may be lack of sealant on the seam that makes the frame. Have the dealer give you a tube of RV specific sealant to seal the seam up. Also inspect around the entire frame flange to ensure it is caulked and sealed against the RV body.
Second, the weather seals sould meet at the BOTTOM of the door - not the top. Inspect the seal, is it crushed or does it have a seam at the top? If has either condition, have the dealer order the seal and re-do it so the seal ends meet on the bottom.

Third, does your door have internal or external screws securing it to the frame? Some doors have screws outside with a vinyl trim covering them. Other doors have the screws just inside the frame but still exposed to elements. Yet the last design has them INSIDE past the door not exposed (this is the best type). If you have the first two types there is a good chance the water is leaking past the screws. Pull each screw out one at a time and put a dab of caulking on the screw, resecure the door.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the quick response Mwebber78

When I looked at the seam inside the door, there is a seam that looks like crossroad put a peice of weather tape on it or some sort of tape. It's on the top part of the door..the inside black rubber seal is solid around the top and meets at the bottom of the door. Its almost like it is leaking in the area up to where the inside and outside frame frame Flange is? I mean where they meet at the top? ( Hope I explained that correct ) The outside frame looks like it it caulked pretty good. Looks like water may be getting in through the front of the frame Flange where it Joins together...Kind of looks like this ====l==== in the topfront flange and inside the flange...Like I said earlier, the inside===l=== has some sort of weather tape on it??? But nothing on the outside. So should I put Some sort of sealant or caulking on the inside and outside of that little area on both doors? Seems to be leaking at the same point on both doors? What type of sealant or caulking should I use?

Thanks Again

Wadetech
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Did you look to see where the actual screws are that attach the door to the unit? I would still take a look at these just in case. Yes, I know what your talking about for the outside frame, the tape is the same as your slide roof seam and it's a version of Eternabond. On the outside you can use some Dicor non-sag or Proflex sealant on the frame seam. Basically just enough to fill the seam, wipe clean with mineral spirits.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Hi Mwebber78

The screws are on the inside. I did see them when I was watching for the leak. I am going up to the trailer on the weekend to seal the frame seal, It seems to be dripping down from where the frame seal meets...I will keep you all posted to my findings....Great Forum, will be here everyday...Thanks Again
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

My storage doors leaked as well. I ended up removing that tape on the seam and caulked it with some ProFlex. I think the tape was causing the rubber seal to not seal enough.

Also the lock and latch allowed water to weep into the storage compartment. I disassembled the lock and thumb latch. There is an o-ring inside to prevent water from coming in but it looks like they were both ripped a little from assembly.

I ended up cleaning them well and smeared a ton ofVaselineinside.

The doors have been leak free since.