Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to jpaul1218
Well we are coming to the end of our first week of using our 2012 31SB and i would like to make a few observations.

First, I know this is an economy trailer, but holy moly, a little pride in the workmanship and quality control could go a long way.

I took delivery in mid May after purchasing this from Terry town RV. I know I got a decent price based on the same units around Delaware. Terry town didn't do me any favors, but I got what I paid for.

So far, from the day it was delivered, these are the issue's we've been dealing with.

1. 5 minutes after being delivered the young man from "bad boys" tranporters (bad sign right their) tells me he thinks there may be a problem with the lights. Well, let me tell you. called Cross Roads, spoke to Lisa, got approval to take it to my local camping world where we discovered all of the wires for exterior lights, brakes where never connected. Just one big bundle of electrical tape without any wires connected. Camping worlds manager came out and noted not only how shoddy this was, but it also fails RVIA code. Even if it was connected, wired correctly, the plastic box it is installed in is not an exterior sealed box, so onward we move. Everything is fixed, Lisa from cross roads gets her fax for an invoice '3 weeks later I still haven't heard a word. So, bad boys transport driver lies, never had lights or brakes for 700 miles, cross roads does a shoddy wiring job. We move on.

2. June 23rd. Towed trailer 85 miles from Delaware to Ocean view NJ. First, we notice a new dent in side of trailer, passenger side behind front door. I realize a stub from under the kitchen sink, inside of cabinet is now pushing out on the aluminum about 1/2" causing a slight dimple in fold on aluminum and dent outward on aluminum panel. I will be calling cross roads Monday about this one.

3. I open kitchen door to have the hinge on the front pop off, discovering it was being held on by one screw.

4. Kids bedroom slide door is lying on the floor. Whoever hung the slide door never located studs in ceiling, and it appears entire door was simply screwed into the thin ceiling cover.

COME ON CROSS ROADS </span>THIS IS SHODDY WORK. We have a lemon law here in Delaware, and I am very close to putting it into effect. I am reaching a point where I am losing faith in your workman ship abilities. AC, fridge and every external part not requiring Cross Roads interface to work seems ok. Only real issue's appear to be where your personnel have had to build anything.

Since I have attempted to contact you three times regarding my initial wiring problem and have not heard back, I am hoping I hear back through this forum.

I hope you honor your warranty. I'll find out Monday. I would like an answer to my initial problem this week, if possible.

Jeff Folk
Newark Delaware.

jpaul1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You need to contact randy mischler at crossroads. he has a really good reputation for helping people in your situation.The brake lights should have been discovered in a dealership PDI. Was this done?

on edit: I can find 2 phone #'s for randy, not sure which one will work.... 888-226-7496 or 855-226-7496 Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the information. I'm calling Randy today. I'll let you know what kind of resolution I get.
Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Sorry, to answer your question about dealership, I'm pretty sure Terrytown never touched this trailer. We still had saw dust in the sinks from installation work at the factory, so I'm pretty sure they took delivery, stuck it on the lot and away it went.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The dealerships are supposed to go over the trailer to check it for problems before you take possession and you are supposed to get a PDI (pre delivery inspection) where they show you how everything functions etc. Most take advantage of this to inspect their TT from top to bottom before handing over the cash. The lights should have been caught at the factory but they should have also been caught at the dealership. In fact whoever delivered the trailer to the dealership shouldn't have towed it to the dealership without checking lights before pulling off the lot in indiana. Lots of places where this trailer fell through the cracks. I know every dealer has monday and friday trailers that have problems but the lights should have been caught. This is highly unusual for crossroads.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Just to keep this up to speed, I am really curious if this is standard, or I am having exceptional problems with this trailer.

Besides the 3 issue's I've reported and am waiting to repair, after a 2 week trip, our second time using the trailer, I get to add to the list:

Original Issues:

Denting in panel,

Sliding rear bedroom door not attached to the cieling

Rear outside kitchen door hinge bent, popping off when opening the door.

wiring.

Add-ons:

1. The forward outside door to the storage compartment (slide out side) is leaking severely. It is wet after any rain, and it has discolored the linoleum in the storage compartment.

2. The main slide out is beginning to deform the sheet metal on the outside of the trailer, it is pinching in the lap fold on the sheet metal. I don't know if this is normal or not, but it is deforming the bottom piece of sheet metal and the 1'st level where it is attached.

3. The Jensen CD player is not working inside of the trailer. We have tried several different Cd's and none of them play. You cannot even select the CD player to turn it on.

4. The sensor's for the Black water and Grey water are reading full even when both tanks for completely empty.

5. At two different campgrounds, a KOA in WIlliamsburg and Cherry stone in Virginia, my main breaker would blow if anything other then the AC was on. Once the AC was running, even one light switch would blow the breaker. I believe this is a problem with the breaker.

I've determined it's when the hot water heater and the AC are on.

The countertop in the rear kitchen is becoming unglued, edge completely peeling off and top beginning to slide.

Am I the only Zinger owner having qualty issue's with their trailer? I've been talking to Lisa Bontranger at Crossroads and her direction so far is to keep taking it to the dealer and getting the stuff fixed. So we run to camping world monthly for repairs, losing the use of the trailer for 4 or 5 weeks at a time.

Really unsatisfied with how this trailer was put together.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Also, contacted Mr. Mischler and left a message two times, but never heard back, but I would expect his advise would be the same as Ms. Bontranger, just keep getting it fixed. I can't believe this is a normal trailer for Cross Roads.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I doubt it is. Most have very minor issues. We have only had a couple small things. No matter how good QC is, sometimes one is bad. It appears (while you likely paid for it) your dealer didn't do a very good prep job, either.

I would keep contact CR. Read some forum threads - they stand behind their product.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I would agree this is not typical of every TT Crossroads builds. I can tell you our first TT 2012 Sunset Trail 30 RE had a repair list longer than yours with major issues. Bad wheel bearing, bad breaks, multiple roof leaks, delamination, on and on.
We owned it for six months never used it and the dealer had it four of those six months. You know, waiting for the factory to approve, send parts, etc. finally when the dealer couldn't fix the major issues at no fault of theirs I talked to the factory rep, wrote letters to Crossroads demanding our six loan payments to be reimbursed and either fix the TT so we had faith and confidence it was good as new because it was new. Or, provide us with another TT. Crossroads refused to do any of the above. I'm most fond of the letter I received from Crossroads explaining this is why they provide a two year warranty to cover their factory mistakes. No a warranty is to designed to cover parts that malfunction or fail. Warranties were never designed to replace quality control and then lay the responsibility of correction on your dealer network.
We did get a brand new TT but not from Crossroads. Our dealer took care of us. Refunded every penny we paid on our lemon, took the lemon back and sold us another SUNSET TRAIL 30 RE. Different build lot with many new options for the same price. The dealer then took the lemon tried to repair it best they could and sold it as used. Crossroads did nothing for us or the dealer.
For those who have had great success with Randy at Crossroads. What will you do when he leaves. My point is stay on both the repair facility and most of all the factory. Unfortunately the factory never did anything for us. Good luck with your repairs.
By the way we have really enjoyed our second 30RE. Just a few minor issues so far. Camped in it six times since we picked it up in January.
Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter
Millie & Scooter (man's best friends)

Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote