Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

When I tow my TT, I get black tank smell in the living area which soon goes away with open doors or windows. Now, I'm not a new camper so I know some of the reasons. I've closed and opened the roof vents with no difference. The traps have water in them. I purchased one of those vent caps that turn in the wind and pull air out of the tank when you drive by venturi effect but winter came too early and I'll be putting it on in the Spring. Anyone have success with this issue?
2011 Zinger 25SB
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check your toilet and see if it is holding water. It should have a small amount of water in the bowl AFTER flushing. If not, you may be sucking up odors from the tank while driving.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yup, got water in it. Like I said, I'm not new to campers. Just looking for something unique here that I haven't seen before.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I believe that once you install your new vent cap, which sounds like the "Cyclone", you'll find a significant improvement. I did and also made sure I had water in the bath P-trap and I no longer have odors after towing.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. After 1 tow behind camper and three motorhomes, I've never had this problem but I've heard others who have. I made sure all my P traps were filled with water. I think the wind getting into the top of the vent pipe might be the culprit. Anyway, come Spring, I will be putting on the vent cap and see what happens.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Had a similar issue. Turned out that a fitting on the black tank was either cracked or came loose permitting the odor to come into the RV. Only happened when the tank was more than 1/2 full. A mobile RV repair service took care of the issue and it has been trouble free since.
Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
Are you using enough or the right chemical for your size of holding tank? I have never had an issue (thank god) with an odor problem from the holding tank.
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

All black tanks smell! Use all the chemicals you want, there are some things that just don't change! Grin!! Yes, I believe I'm using the right amount of chemicals. We don't get the smell unless we have driven for a few miles. I'll post a follow-up in April <Grin>.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I know you are used to cleaning black tanks but I used to get the odor until I switched to the geo method (the.version that uses bleach some of the time) and flush my tank clean every trip. Since then no issues. The geo method got rid of the residue build up that caused the odor. Also I assume not being new to this that you keep water in your black tank at all times.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Yes, keep some water in tank all the time. I try to keep at least a gallon or two but it's not as easy with this TT. I'm used to having a flush system in the motorhome and this unit has none but it doesn't seem to matter if the tank has just been dumped or i'm on the way to a dump station. I've never used the "geo" method and must admit I'm hearing about it for the first time. Use bleach, you say?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Go to www.irv2.com, then type in 'black holding tank maintenance" in their search area, then click on a 2005 article by Charles Bruni. Very detailed info on the Geo Method.

Another thought. I have a second trailer without a black tank flush so invested around $25 for the RV Hydro Flush 45 Degree from Camping World. It works well for me for flushing the tank and the fact that you can close the black tank valve on the trailer and continue to run the water rinses the sewer hose without having to disconnect and hold one end high in the air with one hand while trying toaim the flush water hose with the other. Cool!Edited by: coastn

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote