Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Spent the first long weekend in our new 2012 32QB. LOVED IT!!

We spent some time outfitting to fit out needs - coat hooks, towel racks, etc.

One thing came up that I don't know how to address - where the hay do you put a DVD player? The TV console is not deep enough to accommodate one and even if we got one of the all-in-one DVD units to replace the radio/CD player, there is no way to get the cables to the TV short of drilling holes in the cabinet.

Has anyone ever installed a DVD player in one of these units? What did you use and where did you put it?

packman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I would also love to know the answer to this question...

2005 Dodge RAM 3500, CTD,QC, 4x4,SRW,48RE,3.73

Honda EU6500is

Mini Dachshund
bigdave442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yeah there's not much depth to put anything in those cabinets. Only thing I came up with was to mount it vertically but you need to find a DVD player that has a slot loadingmechanismor those little tabs that you can rotate to hold the disc in. I haven't seen those for a while though.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have a '12 31SB, and on our trip to our local Best buy to solve that very problem the salesman offered a couple of different options. One was a combo tv/dvd player- about $350 for a base model 32", but he cautioned we may have more problems(more stuff to break in one unit). The next was a tv and a vertical mounting DVD player- about $300 for the tv and $350 for the DVD player. Not so thrilled with the price. Then he suggested a Playstation 3- DVD/Blueray capable,internet friendly, and gaming for when the boys get bigger. So again about $300 for thetv and $300 for the PS3. Overall it was our best option and the PS3 fits fine in the cabinet above the tv.
fire249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a small DVD player which should fit. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-H1080R-Upconverting-DVD-Player/dp/B001TK3D3G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1307022089&sr=8-8

But, I may have to get creative to find a place for the satellite receiver.... http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-VIP-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B001D2XOS4/ref=pd_cp_e_4

2005 Dodge RAM 3500, CTD,QC, 4x4,SRW,48RE,3.73

Honda EU6500is

Mini Dachshund
bigdave442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

So they are not using the Jensen all in one radio,cd,dvd??

Yes it is cheap but does work and don't need extra.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We got a flatscreen TV from best buy that has the built in DVD player. We have the entertainment center that flips around from the living area to the bedroom. There was a predrilled hole for the wires and the mounting bracket swings out some. DH did the hook up but said it went together without too much work.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Another high tech solution worthy of note is the WiDi feature available in some newer laptop computers, which allows you to push video from the laptop to your TV via a wireless connection.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We bought a 22" TV/DVD combo from Target for 250. Bought two of them so we have one for the bunkroom and that's the one we take outside. The brand is Polaroid.

https://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...7-49-55_82.jpg
Taylorized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
New Camper

We asked ourselves the same question and ended up buying a tv/dvd combination instead.

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
New Camper

We are in the same boat - we have a 2001 Zinger 31SB. We installed a 32 inch LCD TV in the space for the TV, it fits but just barely. Since the "entertainment center" is so narrow - I think I measured the inside area as being about 7.5 inches wide - I have yet to find ANY DVD player that can fit in that area - all of them are at least 8 inched deep, and, they all have the recepticles for the various wires sticking out of the back as well, which means that they effectively would be at least 8.5 inches deep once the wires are attached.

I thought that I could find one that could be mounted "sideways" in the cabinet, but, so far, no luck. This would require that the unit be designed to play DVD's while on its side, and to have its remote "receiver" (the little infra-red thingy) on the top of the unit - they are pretty much always mounted on the front of the unit (which, if you turn it sideways as I would like, means that the infra-red receiver is pointed away from where you would be sitting - which would mean that your remote would not work for the DVD player - and, all of its buttons would also be facing away).

So, thus far, I have taken out computer along (which has a DVD player in it)and just set it on the floor in front of the entertainment center and wired it up to output to the TV, and I have taken along out home DVD player and did the same - but, in both cases, the DVD player is just sitting on the floor and the wires are sticking out everywhere.

I wish some manufacturer would design something for this situation- and there must be other applications for such a setup besides out RV's!

If anyone has any proven solution, please let us know!

2011 Crossroads Zinger 31SB
bickar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I hear you on that one. I have had no luck finding a DVD player that will fit. I like the wireless idea that was mentioned previously but unfortunately, my laptop cannot support it so I am SOL on that one unless I buy another laptop.

I cannot figure out why Crossroads would not design a way to deal with this issue into the camper. I know it's a "budget" line but really, who doesn't want a DVD player in the camper? Seems a bit short sighted if you ask me.

I hate to go the TV/DVD combo route given the high failure rate of the DVD portion (from what I have read). I guess I too am stuck with putting a DVD player on the floor for now.

Maybe someone else has a better solution they have implemented.
packman35 is offline   Reply With Quote