Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

This past weekend we setup our 19rd at our home base campsite in Il. and left it plugged in. The flimsy hatch door used for the power cord has me concerned both from a weather and rodent perspective.Any advice on what methods have been used by others to make this a better sealed opening would be appreciated?
bdewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is a link to my solution.
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=639

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Farmer - NICE!!

I too have wondered about the durability of that flimsy door. Now I know my next project!!

packman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I did the same thing that Famer did to his at first. (Thanks Farmer I remeber that post you made and did the same thing)

Then after this past winter, I did mine a little different. I went to Walmart and got a plastic cutting board, (the cutting board is used instead of the piece of plywood to mount the electrical socket to)then also cut some 2X4's and made a frame to fit inside behind the hole. Then I attached the cutting board and electircal socket to the inside with the 2X4"s making the cutting board deeper inside the hole. This way whenI hook up my electrical cord, I can still shut the hatch door and the cord comes out the little access hole like it normally does, (also got this idea from another poster here too, Thanks grossamar,isnt this place great!) but is completely sealed now so no rodents or bugscan get in.

I did this because I leave my trailer hooked up all winter long to keep the battery charged. And with the doorbeing able to close, it doesnt flap in the wind in the winter like it did all last winter, plus now it doesnt flap in the wind when Im at a campground and the wind kicks up too.

I painted all the wood white with spray paint and also sealed it all up with silicone too.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I made a rubber cover for the cord opening. Keeps most critters out.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=616
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote