Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fresh Water Vent Issue

I've had a 2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT 230 FB for a few years now and have problems filling the fresh water tank. The tank will fill for a while then shoot water back out and gurgle even when trying to fill fairly slow using a fill valve with half inch tube. I then repeat the process probably 15 to 20 times until the tank is actually full. I have checked the vent and it is totally blocked. I can pressurize but will not pass air. I can run a cable down the vent till it stops at about 3 1/2 to 4 ft.. I can not find any access to the water tank and have followed the tubing to a few inches under the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix
bigjohnhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

If I remember right, the vent tube and filler tube, enters the tank on the end, pretty close to each other.
If this is a problem you've had from the start, I would guess the vent tube is either plugged, or, the nipple it hooks onto at the tank is plugged.

If that is the case you will have to drop the cover to access the end of the tank. If you are lucky, you might be able to get at the clamp and remove the vent hose to check it out. If the hose is clear, then the only other option would be the nipple going into the tank is blocked.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I didn't see any easy way of accessing the tank and I don't know exactly where it is at. It looks like I would have to cut the flooring under the couch as that is where the tubes lead. The flooring is also heavily insulated underneath and also from the outside. Don't think I really want to tear things up. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Your tank is very near the fill tube. You can access the tank by removing part of the cover that is underneath the frame.

All tanks are accessed from the bottom of the rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Like Mark stated, you will have to drop the cover and access the tank from the bottom.
Here is a pic of my tank out and standing on end.
The two nipples on top in the pic are for the pump pickup and the other is the drain.
The two nipples shown on the bottom of the pic are -- fill and vent.
Now remember, when looking at this pic, the tank is standing on end. For it to be in correct position it has to lay down .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103-albums112-picture706t (2).jpg (89.3 KB, 42 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks, I had no clue it had to be accessed from the bottom.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Team

If you follow the fill and vent lines from the wall to the floor where they enter the tank is the hole in the floor big enough to access the vent line? As stated you would have to drop the under belly or cut a access flap to get to the tank if you cant get from top. Another possibility is the fill line may be kinked or pinched and causing a backup like pouring water thru a funnel to fast. I would guess that when you ran 3 1/2 to 4' of cable thru the vent line you were in the tank. Not sure but that sounds like a long way for a vent line as the vent and fill are usually close to each other.

Good luck and let us know what you fine.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Yes this has been very puzzling. Not sure when or what I may try next. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The volume of water entering the tank is replacing the volume of air leaving the tank. Therefore due to the larger size and 60 or so PSI of the fill line and the smaller size of the vent line, I believe that if you slowed the water flow entering, you might be successful. Filling tanks too fast can lead to rupture and leaks by pressurizing the tank.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

In the middle of de-winterizing now. I've tried doing it slowly and it helps but I would have had to spend hours filling the tank which would not be practical at the campgrounds I go to. Also this is a gravity fed fill. In the mean time I ran a piece of garden hose down the fill tube and it stopped at about two feet. I continued with twisting and pressure and the hose went all the way in till it came back with water from the tank on it. Tried filling the tank more and it was too full to determine if there was improvement. Still felt no air from the vent. I'll try filling it again after it drains.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Filled the tank from empty. Throttled back the water valve to about 1/3. The tank was completely full in 45 minutes with 8 spray and gurgle episodes. That's less than a gallon a minute. I still think it is a vent tube problem. Thanks again for the advice.