Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am interested in getting a diesel to tow with. If you are towing with a diesel what kind of fuel mileage are you getting? What manufacture and year? I am leaning toward the Dodge Cummings six cly. What do you think? Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Depends on size & weight of the trailer you are going to be towing, weight of the stuff in the trailer, wind, tire pressure, speedand driving habits.

I have a 2006 gmc duramax diesel ccwhich I have towing a 4 slide 38ft fifth wheel with, the dry weight of the trailer comes in at just over 10k and I had likely about 2.2k of stuff in it.

I averaged around13 - 14 mpg USA or around 16 - 17mpg Imperial Gallons, the main things that changed that have been speed and the addition of a full tank of water when travelling.

We took a round trip out east on the Trans Canada highway last summer with the trailer loaded up with 3weeks of cloths and lots of food etc drivingat 70 to 75mph averagefrom Ontario to PEIwhich is around 1200 miles andspent approximately 600 bucks worth of fuel going out. We were in a hurry heading out...

On the way homeI set the cruise control at 65mph and we spent just uner 400 bucks coming home in fuel. We were a little lighter coming home but the big difference was the speed.

On two lane roads in Ontario with a max speed limit of 50mph I set the cruise at 55 mph and can have the average mpg go up to about 18 - 20 mpg Imperial which is around 16-17 USA...

tires are at 80psi on the truck and on the trailer.

Don't think the Dodges come in quite that good and I know they don't pull as well in the hills but they are stil a great truck for towing but I don't think they match up to the Duramax/Allison.

Of course they are less expensive to purchase so that might make it a better bargain foryou... I've been aGM guy all my life so that sealed my decision

Good luck, no matter which diesel you buy your milage will be light years ahead of a gas engine truck, BTW I get 22 - 25 mpg Imperialwhen not towing on the highway at around 60mph

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

2007 dodge qc cummings,pulling 2011cf285rlp 12.2 to13.8mpg

what ever you do get one with the engine brake,really turned out to be the best option on the dodge,when driving in the mountains

Edited by: joescuba

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Team

speedster, how are checking your mileage? Are you using the idiot gauge that GM puts in them, or are you hand figuring it?
I have the Duramax also,pulling a lot smaller rig, and the best I ever seen was 16 mpg with a real good tail wind, and that was going with the idiot gauge. That thing lies. It's usually off 2--3.5 MPG. to the high side.
We get any where from 9-13 depending on the wind. Speed isn't a factor, I set the cruise at 58 mph.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

No actually I've did the calculations many times over long trips.... the key is the conversion from litres to gallons.

In reality the idiot guage on the truck is not all that far off the calculations however I have two different sets of tires 245/75R/16's forshort pulling on two lane roads or when I'm going to be in the hills/mountains and I also have a set of 265/70R/17's that I put on for travel on freeways at higher speeds.

Thus I have to do several calculations to take into account the different gear ratios as a result...

Also the fuel does make a difference, winter fuel sucks ! I'm always glad when spring rolls around and the mileage comes back.

Too put it in perspective between gas vs diesel my buddy drove his 2006 GMC 2500 CC gas out to the east coast last summer with us, I towed a trailer he pickeda rentalup in Moncton New Brunswick and towed it 2hrs to our camping resort. He lives 4hrs closer to the east coast than I do. I towed our 38ft trailer out and back home and we both used the same dollar value of fuel !

So I can definately say with 100% certain fact the diesel will out perform any gasoline powered truck in towing, torque and fuel mileage. the best part is the reduced stress as the truck does the work instead of the driverdoing the work.

the Tow haul gearing up and down are another bonus of the diesel, I do know that the LMM diesel engined GMC/Chev in late 2007 and beyond took a big hit in the fuel mileage when compared to theLBZ engines in the 2006 early 2007's due in part to the smog control additions.

Love my diesel truck ! my wife gave me the ok to trade on anew one last year and I graciously declined and waited till this year for thenew trailer..........the GMC CC has 120,000 miles on it and the power and mileageseems to have got better since it hit the 100k mark...

Could be just me.........though I am getting older and easier to impress.......LOL

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Hey Farmer my father in law had an 03 dura max and went to the 2007 classic and his mileage went way up, he attributed that to the extra ponies and torque of the LBZ engine and the 6 speed Allison rather than the 6 speed Ally ?

He tows a Glendale 4 slide 39ft Titanium Trailer and gets about the same as i do although his foot is likely a llittle lighter than mine given he is on the other side of 70yrs young now......LOL

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

When I had my Zinger I towed with a 2005 Dodge Cummins at 65 mph I got 12to 13 miles per gallon. When I went with the fifth wheel at 65 Igot a little better do not know why unless the nose is more arrow dynamic. this was with the 5.9. My 2007 with the new motot I am getting a mile less per gallon. As far as going up hills a dodge will do better their torque RPM range kicks in a 1100 rpm and is flat all the way up to 2400 RPM a Ford or GM torque starts at just over 2000 rpm. Remember torques gets it going and HP keeps it going

Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the wonder dogs and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Truth is all of the newer diesels get about the same mileage because of all the EPA crap on them. It just depends on your driving style and speed as to what you will get. The pre-emmissions motors get better mileage because they could breath better. I say buy what makes you happy and go have fun.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Worrying about fuel mileage when you pull a camper is like ordering ice cream and a diet coke, it just doesn't make sense. JMO!!!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

In my experiences I've found so many factors involved such as head winds, tail winds, side winds, 8,000 feet vs. 2,000 feet elevation, hills, mountains, flat.....that I just don't worry about mileage anymore. It is what it is. I think it's more about getting the tow vehicle that'll make you comfortable and confident with the weight you're towing(maybe with a future camper upgrade in mind ) and stopping that weight as well.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 ST30BH Traded
'15 Canyon Trail 31FBHS 5er
'16 Fox Mountain 235 RLS 5er
'14 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote