Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
New Camper

We have a 2007 29 BS and have noted a musty smell since we first started camping with it.

It is most noticeable in the pantry between the stove and refrigerator although the smell permeates our food,clothing and belongings no matter where it is stored in the trailer.

We have tried Febreez, odor absorbing "gels" with charcoal and even used a sealant spray for cupboards. Nothing seems to work to eliminate the smell.

We Live in Wisconsin and store our Zinger in a pole barn over the winter so it is not exposed to snow or rain or year-round hot, humid conditions.

Any ideas where this smell is coming from or how to get rid of it once and for all?

Thanks.
susank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have read on other forums of people putting ammonia in a couple of pie tins and sittingthem in the trailer for a few days to absorb odors. Seems to work for others. You could also look at renting a small ozone generator/machine for a day or two.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Try this link. Options to eliminate odors were well discussed here.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24950759/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't know for sure just what smell you are trying to describe.Is it a musty smell, or is it formaldehyde? Musty would more then likely be caused by moisture. Formaldehyde, is used in most of the building components in our trailers. When ours was new it smelled pretty strong of formaldehyde. I pulled it out of the shed and let it sit in the hot sun totally closed up, and like Hunter said, I placed containers with ammonia around inside the trailer and let it set that way for---I don't know whether it was 1 or 2 days. You almost need a gas mask to go in there and retrieve them and get the windows and doors opened up. but it did the job. I'm lucky in the respect we have a building our rig sets in here at home, and I leave windows and door open "all" the time, year around. I also have a oscillating fan in there that gos 24/7. Keeps air moving and has to help when the humidity gets high.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had a travel trailer that started smelling musty, and found that the problem was the outside light housing was never caulked around, and when it rained, water would get inbetween the wallsand get the plywood of the floor damp. You may want to look for a cause to the smell.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote