Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
We have a 33FK Zinger and when we purchased the unit we were informed the underbelly was heated. We are going to be spending the winter in Osoyoos, B.C. where it is usually -5C but can get colder although daytime temps. are in the the plus range. (so -5C to plus 5C). We are skirting our unit and will probably put small light bulbs under the TT to help but want to make sure we do not freeze up. The unit was upgraded to the Polar Package for insulation but not sure about the underbelly heating other than when the furnace is running some heat from a vent is going into the belly. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.
Ya I know should go south but for health reasons we cannot.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes, the underbelly is only heated by the furnace. Most of that heat is radiated heat given off by the main furnace duct as it is not insulated, so heat radiated both up and down. On my '04 model there was also a 1" diameter hole in the bottom as an actual heat 'duct'. In my opinion, the 'duct' was worthless since air flow would be much less than underbelly air leaks thru holes in the frame, etc.

We camp year round with our volunteer work and rarely use the furnace, relying instead on 2 oil-filled electric heaters in the winter. Even w/o the furnace running, we have spent days with temps below freezing and never had problems with freezing lines in the underbelly, even though the exposed city water line froze along with the sewer drain. Also, the tanks are not likely to freeze due to the amount of liquid in the tank, but the fresh water pickup tube for the 12V pump is most likely the first item to freeze, especially since the fresh water tank is frequently located at the back of the trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hi Denlor,
Since your kitchen is in the front and your bathroom is midway, you likely have 2 gray tanks to include in your heat concerns. Perhaps you should think about a heat tape for the incoming water supply like this one =http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...8#.UkOefIasiSo

Friends of mine also use electric ceramic heaters during the winter. They are very safe since they will cut off if tipped over and have a thermostat. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Warmwave-1500-Watt-Ceramic-Tower-Electric-Portable-Heater-with-Oscillation-HPQ15M/100683982#.UkOfjYasiSo

Good luck
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the input folks. I just purchased a Pirit heated water hose for water supply which is rated to about -30C but maybe will put heater under TT inside skirt.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I like the idea of a thermostatically controlled heater under the unit. It would ensure that your holding tanks do not freeze or ice up.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Hi Boderrving: thanks for your comments and wish you and yours great camping and may all your problems be something the DW can solve
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks and hope your winter in Canada is a mild one. Please update during the cold months as we will be curious to know how it goes.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I saw on a Camping world internet flyer they had 50 and 75 ft fresh water hoses that had thermostatically controlled heat the entire length of the hoses. Check that out. I also use two electric oil radiators to heat the house all winter long. Beats listening to the furnace running all the time. They heat a 1600 sq ft house most all winter by themselves. If I were to put one under my TT I think I would use an oil radiator. These are radiant heat, thermostatically controlled, and much safer. IMHO.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Skirting, even with DOW foam sheets will help significantly to reduce to chance of freezing. Watch for condensation, it can create mold and when it occurs in the walls reduce your R-values significantly.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote