Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
New Camper

All,

I am looking to put together a bike rack for my families bicycles (2 adults, 2 child bikes). I have read posts on other forums stating that the tube-type of bumpers, as found on our Zingers, can eventually rust out and fall off the trailer if too much weight is applied.As such, I would like to know what type of hitch or bicycle racks you have used on your Zinger?

Thanks in Advance

CampingDad
campingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Do a search at the top of the forum on "bike rack" and you will get all kinds of information and ideas. For 4 bikes and a rack I would stay away from a rear bumper mounted system.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Ive also been looking into this. And have found that everyone seems to frown on 4 bikes on the back. I have seen a couple of groups that have been putting there bikes on the ladder on the back. I seen a few with 4 bikes on the back with different racks on the ladder. Anyone have any experience with that. I did not come up with anything in a search.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
jimmbo407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The ladders most RV's come with are pretty flimsy. I would not put 2 bikes on one much less 4.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I saw a 5'er yesterday on the freeway with two bikes mounted above the pinbox on a special mount (bikes were in front of the front cap). That was a new one for me. Not sure how hard it is to get them up or down from there.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

mark i have two racks i use. the easy one is a front hitch on my truck (bolt on and hidden behind the front bumper) with a standard thule 4 bike carrier. the other one is a simple design. i welded two receiver tubes, one on each frame rail. then i constructed a square tube frame with expanded metal(mesh) for the floor. its not that heavy, its very safe and sound. its removable if needed and it does'nt rock at all. it will void your frame warrenty, but that didnt bother me because the chassis builder is a lousy company called lippert. i built originally for my schwinn tandem bike, but now i carry my fire pit, generator and anything else i might need. do a search i posted pictures awile ago. if you cant find them i'll try to repost them. i would'nt even carry my spare tire on the bumper, much less 4 bikes. good luck

p.s. if you dont/cant weld this is something any average welder can make. its not that complicated. good luck.

just copy and paste the link if it does'nt work for you.

edit: heres the post with pictures. http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1990&KW=bike+rack&PID= 18792#18792Edited by: spinella

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks for the input. I am thinking I might have to go to just two bikes on the back with a weld-on hitch/rack and carry the kids bikes in the bed of the truck. I was looking at rack that would elevate the bikes above the bed, but my bed is so high as it is, it might be a real pain.

That's a nice looking setup Spinella, I never thought of just welding thereceiver boxdirectly to the frame.
campingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

thanks. like i said i welded a receiver tube on each frame rail, and then put two lenths of square tube in the receiver tubes, then i built the rack ontop of it. this way everything is alighned right. if you dont need something that big you could weld a homemade hitch to each frame rail and install a reguler bike rack in a centered receiver . good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote