Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
New Camper

I recently purchased a 2010 38ft Zinger Destination model. 2nd time out my wifey noticed that the hot water was not as hot as she'd like, and it was taking about 2-3 hours to warm up from and empty tank. We had it on electric, I switched the tank to propane. It roared continuously for at least 30 mins. When I went out to check on the heater, water was being forced out of the releif valve? Do I have a problem with the thermostat? I have contacted my dealer, but as of today have not heard back. Any ideas?

Chris
Forest Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If the water heats too quickly, or if you have a defective relief valve, it will seep past the valve. I would test the temperature to see if it is too hot and probably replace the relief valve. An expansion tank will help. The water heater in my 07 does not have a temp adjustment and heats to a factory set temp of about 140dgs. I have had to replace the valve myself and also added an expansion tank in the system. DO NOT plug the relief valve to stop the seeping.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks very much Stan,

I'll check the temp when I am out this weekend.

Chris
Forest Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

You might want to try this too.

There should be air in the top of the tank. If the valve is leaking water you have lost the head of air that should be present. To replace the air, cool the heater, remove the drain plug to drain the water, and then replace the drain plug and refill the tank. As the water fills the heater the air will be compressed in the top of the tank.

If your valve continues to leak, then you will probably need to replace it.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

All you really have to do to replace the head of air is , shut off water to camper open any hot water valve inside to release pressure, go out and open pressure relief valve and let hot water come out untill it stops . Close pressure relief. valve inside and turn water back on. You keep your hot water in tank.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote