Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #21
New Camper

WE have a 2016 Zinger and have the same problem with the odors. It gets into everything. I have also noticed it in bread, and anything else that is in the cabinets. We have put tea, bread and other items in a sealed container to try and block it. Nothing has worked.
Please post if anyone has an idea to solve this,
1Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

The other way that worked for me years ago is I filled three pie tins with amonia left them in the trailer closed up for 24 hour on a hot day removed them air out the trailer and the smell never returned
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
The other way that worked for me years ago is I filled three pie tins with amonia left them in the trailer closed up for 24 hour on a hot day removed them air out the trailer and the smell never returned
I did the same.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #24
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Thanks for the information, will try it tomorrow. We love our T/T, just want the smell gone.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Odour - Crossroads investigating.

Hope this helps other that are experiencing this problem. My persistence is hopefully paying off. As I mentioned in previous posts our trailer has terrible smell that adheres to any porous items or material. I have been searching other RV forums and any other site I could find to see if any one else shares this unique problem. Not a typical new trailer smell. I reached out to Crossroads through Messenger from their Facebook page. Their marketing manager replied 🙂🙂 They asked if we tried contacting their service dept. I replied indicating yes we did but we didn't get anywhere with that. Much to my surprise they indicated they would fwd our messages on to someone else. We received a call on Fri. Morning. We gave them a description of the problems in our trailer. They will follow up with the dealer. As I mentioned the dealer has been great but can't solve the problem. So here's hoping it will become a warranty claim!!
2 R Campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #26
New Camper

I tried this and it worked for a few days and the odor came back. Tried it again with the same results.
Contacted Crossroads by e-mail with no reply, also called and left message about this. Again no reply.
Decided to trade it back in, take loss on unit. It is better than getting sick and dealing with this odor all the time.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Terrible Odour.

I feel for anyone dealing with this problem. Nobody can appreciate what this smells like unless they have experienced it first hand. Not all trailers have this problem but those who have this problem do are desperate to find a solution. It's not a normal new trailer smell. We thought that Crossroads were going to do something but nothing came of that. The odor was worse than before when we stopped in early spring. As soon as you open even the outside kitchen you can smell that terrible odor. Our dealer discontinued carrying Crossroads because he said they had too many problems with warranty claims that weren't resolved. Our dealer was very fair. They offered us a full refund which was good but we ended up paying more for another new trailer. It's a 2018 so I suppose that's business. It's not a Crossroads, we went with Forest Rivers, Prime Time Manufacturing and purchased a Crusader 26RE Fifth Wheel. Much happier that there is no smell. Our dealer has our Crossroads trailer for sale as a used trailer. It's a shame. I hope nobody buys that and has their camping and new trailer experience ruined. Something should be done!!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #28
New Camper

Yes that problem needs to be addressed. We shouldn't have to take a loss due to their problems.
We went with a 2017 Keystone Sprinter 312 MLS.
And no smell like the Zinger.
I will keep an eye out for recalls and pursue it then.
Not happy with Crossroads and can't recommend this probuct to anyone.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

It was a huge nightmare dealing with this problem. We should be compensated for our huge inconvenience. We threw out everything we had in our Crosdroads Trailer.
We have friends that bought a new Cossroads Trailer around the time we bought ours. No smell in theirs. Wonder why only some units have this problem. Just our luck!!!
There is a Facebook page Crossroads RV Chemical Odour. Hasn't seen much activity. Not too many members but I keep checking to see if any new posts are made there.
Maybe if we make enough noise someone will listen!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #30
New Camper

Angry Zinger smell

I have a 2014 Crossroads Zinger 31 BH . Unfortunately, I too have a smell that is getting worse. I was told to "air" it out - I have tried EVERYTHING! Only used the camper twice since purchase April 2016 (Odor is also in the outdoor kitchen but not so much in the front Under storage area, hmmm) I finally emailed (Google Crossroads Owner , MGMT ect... ) any email address that came up... I have no other options than to drop it off at our local Crossroad service center and hopefully they can find the origin. Smells like mold / formaldehyde and once you open the camper door it lingers, so embarrassing. My clothes, bedding, EVERYTHING smells! I am so disappointed in this model as I see there are many complaints on the smell. I would hope for as much as I paid for our camper that something can be done (rolled remaining ant owed on our 1st new camper into this one)
Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #31
New Camper

I to will not recommend to any of my Friends Family or Co workers
Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
I have a 2014 Crossroads Zinger 31 BH . Unfortunately, I too have a smell that is getting worse. I was told to "air" it out - I have tried EVERYTHING! Only used the camper twice since purchase April 2016 (Odor is also in the outdoor kitchen but not so much in the front Under storage area, hmmm) I finally emailed (Google Crossroads Owner , MGMT ect... ) any email address that came up... I have no other options than to drop it off at our local Crossroad service center and hopefully they can find the origin. Smells like mold / formaldehyde and once you open the camper door it lingers, so embarrassing. My clothes, bedding, EVERYTHING smells! I am so disappointed in this model as I see there are many complaints on the smell. I would hope for as much as I paid for our camper that something can be done (rolled remaining ant owed on our 1st new camper into this one)
Sorry to hear you have this problem too. We got rid of our trailer because from this and other RV forums I determined it was never going to go away. We spent more money but happier in our new trailer. NOT A CROSSROADS!!! Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted if you have a solution that worked or if Crossroads does something for you.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #33
New Camper

just bought a sunset trail back in july....rv was open when we went inside i smelled a smell but wasnt to bad...after buying the camper first night in it after closing the door i was in bed maybe n hour and my chest got tight throat burning ...i do have asthma and i was up all night sitting with a window open taking my puffers...bought the rv for the bunkroom so the kids would have their own space...well the kids wont even sleep in the rv they sleep in a tent...cooked the kids some kd and they wouldnt even eat it ...the smell had gone through it...even plastic water bottles ...smell is in my pots and pans....had a brand new z1 in 2015 and traded that in cause of the smell bought a forest river never had a problem with that...got this sunset for the space...had i have known the smell was going to be that bad that it ruins food and cant sleep in it i would have never bought this rv...now im stuck with it...
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #34
Weekend Camper

You might want to contact a lawyer. Your trailer is not fit for the purpose intended. This violates the Fitness of Purpose for the purposes intended. There is also a Warranty of Merchantability. I wouldn’t waste time if you decide to go this route. Since there are so many owners with this problem, you might be able to form a class. Good luck.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #35
New Camper

odor problems

Looking to buy a 2018 zinger 27 rl. Has this odor problem been resolved? Sounds like NOT!!
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #36
Site Team

Not all of the rigs they put out experience that problem.
I don't know if the ones that do have different interior components, or what.

On a warm/hot day, you should be able to enter the rig and tell if it's bad or not.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #37
New Camper

We have this same funky smell in our camper. Clothes, towels, food, everything smells. It permeates boxes of food thru plastic, everything! I have 4 damp rid containers hanging in my camper now I have used 2 Biocide RV shockers and i have a UV sanitizer and deodorizer plugged in at all times. This seem to help a bit, but the smell is still there. I feel hopeless and helpless with this problem. If anyone has an answer, i would love to hear it!!!
kspike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #38
Full Time Camper

Fill up three pie tins with ammonia put in the unit close it up tight for 24 hours empty tins air out unit works most of the time
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #39
New Camper

tried the ammonia trick, it didn't work for us.
gwalsh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:02 AM   #40
Weekend Camper

I have the exactly the same issue!

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/atta...pic7111_11.gif
BAAM is offline   Reply With Quote