Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Site Team

You could try this for the smell.

Quote:
Zeolite:

Zeolite is a natural mineral that absorbs odor without a perfume or masking agent. I love using it because it's non-toxic and lasts for about six months.
Put the zeolite in the problem area and it will start absorbing the musty smells right away.
In addition to lasting for six months, zeolite is also reusable! It is very simple to recharge this mineral. All you need to do is expose it to direct sunlight sunlight or put it into a two hundred and fifty degree oven for thirty minutes, then...voila! Your zeolite's odor absorbing abilities have been restored.
and then, if you have an oven

Quote:
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter to the baking sheet and place it in the oven at 200 degrees. This will help to give your house a pleasant baked-goods smell.
alternative

link http://www.biocidesystems.com/rv-shocker.html

above would also be good for the New Rv smell.

Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Interior Odor Smell

HI:

I am re-posting in this thread because I cannot believe that we are the only ppl with a serious odor issue in their Zinger RV!

We have a 2013 Zinger BH 28' ..... I swear the smell inside is getting worse. Opened the doors the other day to ventilate & It's pretty wicked in there! We could smell it wafting down the driveway... 20' in front of the trailer! I am concerned that it could be a moldy smell & not the smell of construction materials that I was thinking it is.

I did have a few small windows open over the winter but the roof vent covers I installed last year aren't helping a lot given all the snow on the roof over the winter. But the vents and several windows were open all last summer - Nothing seems to help very much.

We seem to get the same smell in the unit that was there when we bought it but it seems to be getting worse rather than dissipating as you would expect of a "New trailer Smell" over time.

So I am thinking - If it were mold, where does it normally show up in RVs? We have never seen anything that resembled mold. I thought I read earlier of someone checking their Fridge vent for mold. Is this a common place for it to show up & where else is it important to watch for mold? I would think that the bathroom & window frames are common places to watch.... We do some early & late season camping so the heat is on a lot & the moisture on the windows etc can be plentiful. However on warmer days & when we are not using the unit, we tend to ventilate all the time, 3 roof vents wide open & a couple small windows, ...in good weather ALL Windows are open. That always seems to dry things out pretty good. We dont really use this unit any differently than our old '05 Dutchmen... We never had any issue with mold in it or strange smells either. Ventilation never seemed to be an issue.

Any suggestions & thoughts are welcome.
CanukCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Mine was under the slide roof. All the slides leaked

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Is that right TDG!...

Wow, ..how did u know they were leaking & did it cause an odor, viseable mold or mildew? I'm not aware of a leak anywhere, How did you become aware of yours?

This smell we get smells a lot like mildew, musty smell at 1st but after u get inside it smells like the same old smell the unit has alway smelt like inside since new. (especially in the cabinets.) Now its almost 3yrs old & almost seems worse right now that anytime in the past......?

CC
Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Gotta remember that those FEMA trailers that they used after Katrina made the people that lived in them sick. Same mat'l used in ours. ...hhmmm

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We put dryer sheets sporadically throughout ours. Then again we area only weekenders during the summer time. Dryer sheets eliminate the camp fire smell anyway. Keep us posted on your dilemna though please.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Gotta remember that those FEMA trailers that they used after Katrina made the people that lived in them sick. Same mat'l used in ours. ...hhmmm
Formaldehyde. When I was shopping trailers, some manufacturers had such a strong formaldehyde smell my eyes were burning and it took a couple of days to scrub it off. I actually liked the Crossroads product because it was not that strong too me.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Formaldehyde seems to keep coming up. I'm not really sure that it is Formaldehyde that I am smelling in our unit. I wouldn't think that Formaldehyde would be a healthy thing for ppl to be constantly breathing & ingesting in their food! If you have food in the unit more that a few days & say take it back home afterwords, The food tastes so bad (with trailer smell) that you have to throw it out! Your body is likely absorbing this same chemical all the while you are relaxing & eating inside your trailer! Probably not very good for you you in the long term!

I cannot believe that whatever this chemical is, That it would be legal to use materials containing such contaminates in the construction of any space that humans inhabit. If Crossroads is not going to help their customers with this problem then I guess we have to have independent testing done to verify what the nausiating chemical is , Where it is eminating from & Possibly take legal action to get the problem resolved!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

It seems to us that this persistent and reoccurring odor attaches itself to some types of plastic. We ended up washing the ENTIRE RV interior with OdoBan; http://www.odoban.com/ . We washed the walls, ceilings, floors, doors, closets inside and out, drawers inside and out, cabinets inside and out. The worst problem was the pantry as the black plastic vent pipe sucked up the smell so we sealed in the smell with waterborne polyurethane. We now keep those cabinet and pantry doors ajar as well as the dresser drawers.

Prior to camping we run an air purified with an Ionizer feature and it seems to help as well.

We got very aggressive and used Biocide Systems RV Shocker Interior Deodorizer. You will need to mix this concoction and vacate the RV allowing this chemical to perform its magic.

Condensation may be an issue so we use Damp Rid devices in the closets and dressers. They make units that hang in the closet between your clothing, small units that sit on shelves just be very careful with the liquid that they produce. Condensation precipitates when the temperature is in the low 30º F, so keep storage areas warm. Keep the air moving inside the RV with a fan and vent moisture at the source; use the kitchen fan anytime you are cooking and use the bathroom vent anytime you are running hot water. Now we keep the interior temperatures up and ceiling vents cracked open (Hot air holds more moisture than cold air, so vent at the ceiling).

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
New Camper

The abc news recently listed out an article claiming that formaldehyde was poisoning rv vacationers Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers - ABC News . I don’t believe that every RV manufacturers use formaldehyde in their production process but it was an informative article nevertheless. Get an exhaust fan it helps.I recently did a renovation on my bathroom and along with the bathroom accessories that I bought from better living dispenser I bought an exhaust fan both for the kitchen as well as for the bathroom. It improves the quality of indoor air and lessens the possibility of getting various health problems.
sherry canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukCamper View Post
HI:

I am re-posting in this thread because I cannot believe that we are the only ppl with a serious odor issue in their Zinger RV!

We have a 2013 Zinger BH 28' ..... I swear the smell inside is getting worse. Opened the doors the other day to ventilate & It's pretty wicked in there! We could smell it wafting down the driveway... 20' in front of the trailer! I am concerned that it could be a moldy smell & not the smell of construction materials that I was thinking it is.

I did have a few small windows open over the winter but the roof vent covers I installed last year aren't helping a lot given all the snow on the roof over the winter. But the vents and several windows were open all last summer - Nothing seems to help very much.

We seem to get the same smell in the unit that was there when we bought it but it seems to be getting worse rather than dissipating as you would expect of a "New trailer Smell" over time.

So I am thinking - If it were mold, where does it normally show up in RVs? We have never seen anything that resembled mold. I thought I read earlier of someone checking their Fridge vent for mold. Is this a common place for it to show up & where else is it important to watch for mold? I would think that the bathroom & window frames are common places to watch.... We do some early & late season camping so the heat is on a lot & the moisture on the windows etc can be plentiful. However on warmer days & when we are not using the unit, we tend to ventilate all the time, 3 roof vents wide open & a couple small windows, ...in good weather ALL Windows are open. That always seems to dry things out pretty good. We dont really use this unit any differently than our old '05 Dutchmen... We never had any issue with mold in it or strange smells either. Ventilation never seemed to be an issue.

Any suggestions & thoughts are welcome.
I just found your post about the odor in your camper. We are experiencing similar odors and are not sure what to do. Wondering if you have an update on your situation or hopefully a solution. Thanks.
IC Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC Campers View Post
I just found your post about the odor in your camper. We are experiencing similar odors and are not sure what to do. Wondering if you have an update on your situation or hopefully a solution. Thanks.
With you a 100%....2017 CameoRL....smells so bad we can barely stay inside anytime night or day..

May be a crossroads design error that keeps the odors inside...

Not sure what to do....
resjohn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #13
New Camper

Odor

Have you contacted Crossroads? This is the next step we are considering. We bought ours used this spring and it's a 2014 Zinger. Wondering if that would do any good.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Get three pie tins fill with amonia leave in the trailer for 24 hours than remove and air out the trailer, smell should be gone
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
New Camper

Odor

Thanks for tip. Will be trying this tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Look at top of page for a post I copied. May help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #17
New Camper

We have a 2015 Crossroads Z-1 toy hauler bought new in May '15. We have had it on several 7-10 days trips and several more weekend trips, so it has been used enough that any new camper smell would be gone by now. This camper has a terrible odor in it that once you stay in it a day you don't smell it anymore but it is still there. When we get home any food or paper products have to be thrown away. Our clothes have to be washed 2 to 3 times to get the smell out. I brought a ceramic coffee mug out of the camper and had to run it through the dishwasher like 5 times. It is not a new camper smell.

I have used charcoal, rv shocker, baking soda, washed walls, cabinets, every single inch in there has been wiped down. This smell is getting worse and is not coming out.
I looked up the paperwork that I took out the day we bought it and put in my office. It
still has that odor in the envelope and worse on the papers inside. I am very disappointed that we are going to trade it in. I loved the floorplan and the quality of this camper but now I am starting to believe that even if we found the cause of the odor it will not come out of the walls and floor anyway.

Crossroads should be doing a recall on these campers. I am sure that they are aware of the problem.

One idea for people that are not ready to give up.
We were walking through a garden one day and I caught a whiff of that camper smell.
I checked it out and it was coming from a plastic easel type thing that they wrote on with markers.

The odor seems to come out from under the camper if I walk by it in my yard. Looking under it there is an enclosure across the bottom. It appears to be plastic. It could possibly be holding water under it causing problems or I am guessing the materials the
underbelly is made out of is the cause. Very strong under there.

Good luck to everyone that has this odor.
jdto89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

In our 2013 28bh the Oder we got was from the aqua flush 5 toilet we are seasonal campers and found that if we open the second door and close the bathroom door and hold the seal open it allows the gas to vent quickly not the best for making friends but it works
Charbgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Angry Terrible smell in new trailer!!

We also have this same unpleasant smell. We bought a new Fifth Wheel SST 22RB. Love the layout. Perfect small fifth wheel for just 2 of us. Outdoor kitchen, full 60x80 bed. Lots of storage. Etc.... purchased New in Aug 2016. Used it only 3 times then brought it back to dealer because it smelled so bad. Thought at first must just be new smell. It got worse the more we used it. Smell adheres to everything. Clothing, plastics, paper products,upholstery etc... We tried to burn it off by turning furnace on then ventilating after. Washed the wall and ceilings , all upholstery and still had same smell. Even items in the outdoor kitchen had the odour. Had a very strong almost musty smell. We threw out many items already because I could not wash the smell out. We brought it back to dealer where it has been all winter. They have checked it for any moisture or mold anywhere, came up negative. They determine its a new trailer smell. They also tried to burn the smell out then ventilate. Still smells. Good thing is the dealer does agree there is an unpleasant smell. Owner of dealership also indicated he would not be happy if it was his trailer. They have indicated it's not an warranty issue but they are doing what they can to get rid of the smell. They recently let a Bomb off ( some type of odour eliminator fogger spray) Dealership says its helped. Told us to try it. They have also offered us a refund to be used as credit at their dealership if the smell doesn't dissipate. Problem is they are no longer a Crossroads Dealer anymore. Hmmmm??? Wondering why now!! We are not happy with choices we have with their current trailer manufactures. We can't find a trailer with a floor plan that gives us the things we wanted in our current trailer. We also got the trailer at a real good price because they were closing out all Crossroads trailers. Most of the trailers are 2017 models and are almost $ 10,000 more than what we paid. We will also be sacrificing some of the things that were huge deciding reasons to buy our trailer. So we will be forced to take our trailer back and hope that what they have done has helped. We even called Crossroads to inquire how to solve the problem. Was told they couldn't help. Refered us back to our dealer. Told us to refer to owner manual for ventilation. This is so wrong to purchase something new and have to put up with this terrible smell. Wonder how it is affecting our health??? Something should be done!!! Any suggestions???
2 R Campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

The Oder in mine was from the aqua 5 toilet I now vent it for a couple of minutes before we start the weekend I hold the outside door in the bathroom open and hold the foot pedal on the toilet down to vent gasses make sure the water pump is turned off I also take the vent cover off on the vent pipe and run the water hose down it to make sure vent pipe is clear I also dump black tank after every weekend and treat tank every weekend seems to help
Charbgd is offline   Reply With Quote