Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
New Camper

We have a Zinger 29DS we bought new last summer. We went camping last weekend and it was hot - 95 degrees and high humidity. With the shades closed and the AC on full, we couldn't get the inside temperature below 81 degrees. The site had little shade and we had the awning out and low, keep off the sun as much as we could.

It's hard to compare apples to apples, but we don't recall having any temperature problems in our July and August camping last year, but we don't remember how shaded the sites were.

I did some measurements of the AC outlet temperture: When it was 95 degrees outside the AC output was 76 degrees. At night when it cooled off and the outside temperature was 70 degrees, the AC output was 50 degrees. I've seen on various websites that a 20 degree delta T was typical for RV AC units.

Here's my question: How to I cool things down? It's miserable camping with it 80+ degrees in the camper. We've added fans, but that just blows around the hot air. You can't always get a site with lots of shade.

This has the potential of ending our camping adventure. Any suggestions are welcome!
TheManns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

do you have ducted air ?.....take the cover plate off the A/C unit inside the camper, check and see where the air dumps out, on my unit the air was all goig up into the ceiling, I put the silver duct tape and redid the dump chute, so now all the cold air comes into the camper, id you have ducted air, check the end of the duct, take the last duct in the line off and put some insulation at the end to stop the air, also tape all the ends of the ducts where it dumps in to camper, your camper is pretty small and there is no reason that one A/C would not cool the camper where you can be comfortable....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManns
We have a Zinger 29DS we bought new last summer. We went camping last weekend and it was hot - 95 degrees and high humidity. With the shades closed and the AC on full, we couldn't get the inside temperature below 81 degrees. The site had little shade and we had the awning out and low, keep off the sun as much as we could.
Do you spend your time indoors when you're camping? If you're outside enjoying the experience.... does it really matter that it's 81 in the RV? Dumb suggestion but you can have the Dealer check it out for you.

Quote:
It's hard to compare apples to apples, but we don't recall having any temperature problems in our July and August camping last year, but we don't remember how shaded the sites were.
Man oh man.... always go for those shady spots.

Quote:
I did some measurements of the AC outlet temperture: When it was 95 degrees outside the AC output was 76 degrees. At night when it cooled off and the outside temperature was 70 degrees, the AC output was 50 degrees. I've seen on various websites that a 20 degree delta T was typical for RV AC units.

Here's my question: How to I cool things down? It's miserable camping with it 80+ degrees in the camper. We've added fans, but that just blows around the hot air. You can't always get a site with lots of shade.
I'm finding this hard to understand - unless you go camping and stay inside your RV. If it's too hot and humid to go outside, it's probably better to just stay home. I say this sincerely. I hate temps over 90 with high humidity. If I have to pay a CG to sit in my RV due to excessive heat, I would rather remain at home.

This has the potential of ending our camping adventure. Any suggestions are welcome!
[/QUOTE]

End your camping? If this can't be fixed with the unit you have, you can always add a second or larger unit. I've seen that mentioned on other forums. Or you can decide to not go camping when the weather is extreme.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManns
Do you spend your time indoors when you're camping? If you're outside enjoying the experience.... does it really matter that it's 81 in the RV? Dumb suggestion but you can have the Dealer check it out for you.

Quote:
Man oh man.... always go for those shady spots.

Quote:

I'm finding this hard to understand - unless you go camping and stay inside your RV. If it's too hot and humid to go outside, it's probably better to just stay home. I say this sincerely. I hate temps over 90 with high humidity. If I have to pay a CG to sit in my RV due to excessive heat, I would rather remain at home.

Quote:
End your camping? If this can't be fixed with the unit you have, you can always add a second or larger unit. I've seen that mentioned on other forums. Or you can decide to not go camping when the weather is extreme.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

In reality the main use for our camper is to visit our daughter in NC. Since I'm a teacher one of our weeks is in July or August, we don't have the luxury of picking our weeks(the other is at Easter) and NC can be a tad warm. I'm thankful our air works well and next month we'll be in that trailer a bunch. Our AC seems to do quite well and will keep the temp in the mid 70's. After checking the ductwork I would make sure the unit itself is clean. The compresser requires air moving through the coils, finally should the temp not be dropping you may need a freon charge. Don't give up, I'm sure it can be resolved
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Mid to high 90's, humid and sunny with no shade my camper will peak into the low 80's midday.

Definitely performthe duct work taping, that helps a lot.We alsouse heavy cotton liners during the hottest part of the summer to insulate the windows. Held in place with Velcro between the window and day/night shade. Roof vents are also a problem for direct heat. We use the CW vent pillows and they make a bigdifference.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

How do the round AC vent covers come off. With all of this talk I want to check mine even though my system has been working.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

The vent covers just snap on. Pull from one side and they should just pop off. The base is screwed to the ceiling. I found that the bases were not sealed well to the duct.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Just curious what position do you leave your fan on? Auto or on? If left in the "on" position you may have your a/c compressor shut down due to poor cooling i.e. stuff around / in the external cooling fins and you may not be hearing the compressor shutting it's self down. Last year in Tn. we had some very hot / humid weather and our 15k BTU A/C was able to keep the inside daytime temps in the low / mid 70's.

Also I second the vent pillows, huge difference. Here in the Midwest I notice it more in the early spring / late fall camping trips in keeping the cold out.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I'm going to guess that you do not have the upgraded insulation and have the 13k air unit ?

Take a good look at the talk above as the little things will help. Shade is going to help more than any thing. When it's over 90 out trailer with the upgraded insulation and a 15k air unit will run non stop. It does not get cool enough for me but it is more than cool enough for her.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
I'm going to guess that you do not have the upgraded insulation and have the 13k air unit ?

Take a good look at the talk above as the little things will help. Shade is going to help more than any thing. When it's over 90 out trailer with the upgraded insulation and a 15k air unit will run non stop. It does not get cool enough for me but it is more than cool enough for her.
That's cuz you're so HOT
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Tom, One of the resons I need so much dang ice in my drinks
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Tom, One of the resons I need so much dang ice in my drinks

If you're coming to the Factory Rally I'll be prepared with ice
Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I will second the adding vent pillows and/or solar reflective covers to the vents. I even put two solar reflective covers together and installed them on the door to keep the heat out. With our trailer, I did add the upgraded insulation, 15k AC and the insulated windows. I have no problems keeping the trailer cool(72-73) even when the temp does go into the 90's. What I have noticed is that I think the LCD tv puts out enough heat to "fool" the thermostat in thinking it is warmer that it is. So, I will look at some sort of fan unit to circulate air behind the tv or somehow insulate or move the thermostat to compensate...

Edited by: gossamar

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

THREADJACKED !!!
How do you like your -
2011 F350 4x4 LB 6.7 Dark Blue Pearl
</span>
I'm seriously thinking of getting one, or a F450 to tow my Seville thru the mountains.</span>
Had trouble last year with the "old truck".</span>
</span>
Sorry for THREADJACK !!!</span>
</span>
But this "Keeping Cool" posting could apply to my truck and transmission.</span>

Edited by: oldman

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote