Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
New Camper

So we brought our new to us '07 Zinger out to the house from the storage site. We wanted to give it a full systems check and a top to bottom cleaning as the prior owners had a dog and my wife is allergic.

I sanitized the potable water system over night and was in the process of using that water to fill the grey and black water tanks so I could dump them. I got to the end of the bleach/water solution and the system began to suck a little air. I shut it down and re-filled the potable water tank with fresh water to rinse out the sanitizing solution and also come closer to filling the black and grey water tanks prior to dumping. My wife goes to put the bedding back in and discovers some water on the floor of the kitchen/dinette. We trace it back to under the sink and I find a leaking compression fitting.

Why would they use compression fittings that can't be tightened on one end and use your typical hose clamps on the other end of the fitting? Can I just pick up a few replacement pieces at the hardware store and convert to fittings I can install/maintain? I initially thought i was going to find a threaded fitting that I could take some teflon tape to the threads, re-tighten and be done...but noooo.

Here are 2 pics of where the leak was coming from. The pump wasn't running so it was just the pressure in the system making it drip. No idea how much more water was leaking while I was running the water via the pump.

Glad we found it now!

Liberty: One well armed sheep contesting the vote.
JetFuelBurner is offline   Reply With Quote