Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
New Camper

Well, we have had our brand new Zinger 31SB for almost 2 months and we are loving it ! Except for last night when one of the struts and hinge came flying off when we closed the the outdoor kitchen door. It seems like there is a lot of pressure on those 3 little screws that hold on the hinge from the strut to the inside of the door. Is this a common problem ? How can you permanently fix it so that it doesn't continue to happen ? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanx..

Rich...

2 Kids

2 Mortgages

09 Santa Fe ("Black Beauty")

05 Flagstaff 825D ("the mobile puppy")

2002 Shamrock 23

"Flexible people don't get bent out of shape"
Bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Just read the same issue on another brand, same large outside kitchen door. Contact the manufacturer, obviously a design issue. Some junior level engineer thought it was a bright idea to attach a plate with mini-screws to a foam core door....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Read my thread a few lines down from about a week ago. (oops, general rv forum)

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=5129

Mine did the same thing. I think it was due to the mounting point being a little bit out of alignment when installed. Was it the front brace? Not sure what that would mean....thats the one that departed the door. I got some bigger screws that did tightenit up pretty well.The left or rearward one was in good shape but I put bigger screws in it too. I wanted to use a pop in type of anchor but thought I would try the larger screws first. Just made sure that they weren't too long where they would poke through the exterior finish. Back to the anchors I think they would work but the door is insulated so that may be an issue if it comes to that.

I know it's still under warranty but I hate having to take it to the dealer for who knows how long for a 10 minute repair.

I just fixed it last trip and we are heading to the lake this coming weekend and will see how it goes. I'm 6-2 and got really tired of resting the door on my head while grabbing some drinks out of the fridge!

I have never been a fan of gas struts especially with a door that large and a lot of leverage going on every time I open it.Edited by: dfwscotty