Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

On my motorhomes, I've always placed a jumper from the coach batteries to the engine battery and plugged in an electrical cord with a timer that applies power to the rig at dusk for four hours. This has kept my batteries fully but not overly charged all winter and I have had good success. Now that I have a Zinger Travel Trailer, the dealer tells me the "converter" will not charge a battery but will keep a charged battery in a "float" condition and maintain it while not overcharging it. If that is the case, then keeping the Camper plugged in all winter should simply keep the battery from discharging. That's more a question than a statement so I'm looking for some education on the converter in the Zinger and how it works with a battery charge and, is what the dealer said "won't charge a battery but only keeps a good battery up" a true fact. I want to doubt it and would think the converter (manual says it draws 8 amps) would do more than "float" a battery. I may want to do the daily 4 hour power application scheme for the Camper too???Edited by: NH Horseman
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Site Team

I have never liked leaving the camper plugged in all winter. I use to take the batteries out.
Since finding this little jewel, all I have to do when the season is over is disconnect from the camper and hook this battery minder up.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...y-charger.html

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hi Old Farmer: I use one of those on my Model A, 6 volt battery all winter. Works like a charm. The one I have does 6 and 12 Volt. The Model A happens to be positive ground but the battery minder doesn't have to know that.

My question, based on the info from the dealer, is; is this what the converter does? I guess I need more info before I decide what to do.Edited by: NH Horseman
Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Site Team

The converter doesn't have the desulfation mode like the battery minder does. They claim if you keep the battery desulfated, it extends the life of it quite a bit.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I take mine out and charge once a month with a battery charger.
The converter will maintain a full charge on the batteries - actually over charge so you may need to check the electrolyte level once or twice. Just make sure all of the DC stuff is off or the battery will discharge between charges - freeze and brake the casing (this happened to me once). A timer sounds like a good idea - or plug in once a week and let the batteries charge for 8 to 12 hours.

From a post I found:
http://blog.rv.net/2009/10/winter-ba...e-maintenance/
</span>
</span>

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the advice. What I still don't know is; What does the "converter" in the Zinger do exactly? If it won't recharge a discharged battery, then it can't really overcharge one; or can it? I guess we just don't know so I'll play it safe and either put a Battery Minder on it or do the four hour per day trick I've been using for years. Over the years I've replaced maintenance type batteries with maintenance free types. I've had no problems as they really don't get the use RV batteries are expected to get if boondocking.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Without knowing what converter is in your unit it's hard to say.

The one in mine has 3 states:

Fast charge

Slow charge

Float

Depending on the condition and usage of the battery if it's just sitting once charged it will go to float. If anything uses the DC (while plugged in) it will provide the power and slow charge the battery. Once charged it goes back to float. If the battery is used by itself when AC is hooked up it will either fast or slow charge depending on the state of discharge of the battery and then go to float.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

The primary purpose of a converter in an RV is to change 120 Volt A/C power to 12 Volt D/C as when you plug your Zinger into an electrical outlet. Also while you are plugged into the 120 Volt power source you are actually charging your deep cycle RV batteries at the same time.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
Without knowing what converter is in your unit it's hard to say.

The one in mine has 3 states:

Fast charge

Slow charge

Float

Depending on the condition and usage of the battery if it's just sitting once charged it will go to float. If anything uses the DC (while plugged in) it will provide the power and slow charge the battery. Once charged it goes back to float. If the battery is used by itself when AC is hooked up it will either fast or slow charge depending on the state of discharge of the battery and then go to float.

As a followup to the previous posting. As I said I keep mine plugged in all the time. I check the battery regularly and have never had to add water since we purchased it in July 2011. The battery stays fully charged.

Maybe there is something to these new-fangled converters with a decent charger. Some of my past RV's if you left it hooked up you had to add water all the time or risk a dead battery.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

caution mine boiled the water out in less than 3 months

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Today I checked on my Zinger that has been in outdoor storage since

October. I left the battery disconnected. I connected the battery and

at first the display monitor said it was one third charged. Some

minutes later it said it was 2/3 charged.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Ihave on 07 Zinger and in 4 plus years I have left it plugged in with great results.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote