Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
New Camper

I am a new owner having only received my Zinger last Monday April 18th, we had the unit delivered to a permanent site. After setting the unit up on Wednesday April 20th and making sure everything was functional we left the unit &returned home. We did leave the furnace on at 60 degrees. We returned on Friday the 22nd & found thatthe propane tank was empty and the propane sensor was in an alarm state(yellow light on and beeping). We called our RV dealer who said that this was normal activity. Since I am a new owner it is difficult to dispute the dealer. But I find it difficult to believe that a supposed fulltank of propane(the dealer filled it before delivering the unit on Monday)would run out heating the unit for only a day and half (outside temperature was between 35 and 55 degrees, we are in upstate New York). Also, if this is normal for the tank to run out that quickly why was the propane sensor in a warning state? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Tom
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I think it's quite possible to empty a tank of propane in a couple days if you had it set for 60 degrees. Especially if you have 20# cylinders. When a tank goes empty there is an smell that is emitted, whether or not that would set off the alarm I don't know. Might be a good question for your LP supplier.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the reply. The tank is a 40 pound and I am starting to think it wasn't full when they delivered the unit.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I installed two propane gauges on my tanks and one of my checks is to pressurize the system and test all the appliances to ensure there is no air in the line. Then I will turn all the appliances off and then turn off the tanks. The gauges will read the line pressure and I watch to see how fast the gauges go down. The will normally stay pressurized for 6 - 12 hours. Much faster than that and I will start looking for leaks. If there is a leak, the line pressure will go down quickly.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We had a trailer the dealer said he would "fill" the tanks--emtied both in one summer,next year 1 tank. I think the dealer didn't want to "give" to much away.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The alarm wouldn't be affected by running out of propane. If the detector goes off thats about as sure you can get that you have a leak.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have had my tanks run out a few times last year and it never set off the alarm once.

I think you do have a leak somewhere and need to have it checked out by someone who has one of them gas sniffer tools that will tell you if a line or appliance is leaking.

I wouldnt use anything that has a pilot light on it until it is checked out really good by a professional. It wouldnt be fun to blow up in the middle of the night thats for sure.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

^^^ Agreed ^^^

Can't fix that problem fast enough.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLish
We returned on Friday the 22nd & found thatthe propane tank was empty and the propane sensor was in an alarm state(yellow light on and beeping).

I know this postis kind of old, but on my LP sensor a yellow light andintermittent beep in 30 second intervalsindicates a fault (ie low voltage I would assume?) not an alarm. The when the alarm kicks in the light is red.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
New Camper

I want to thank everyone who responded. We had the technician check our unit and there was no leak. What appears to have happen is that the unit was delivered with one of the tanks half filled. This was the tank we were using so make sense it ran out fairly quickly. As for the LP sensor the LED was yellow not red which indicates a power problem not a propane leak. If the dealer had given us all of the manuals to begin with then we would have know this when the alarm occurred. As for the power problem we think it could have been due to loose connections on the battery. Both the positive and negative terminals were not tighten down. We stayed in the unit the last two days and it didn't blow up so I think we are comformally on our way to enjoying our unit. Thanks again
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I purchased a new Zinger a couple of months ago. Took it on a maiden trip last week. The oven pilot would not stay lit. I found by accident there is a recall (put out by Starcraft) on the very unit in my Zinger..Atwood model RV1735. The gas line supplying to the oven could have a fracture, which could explain why my pilot would not stay lit. If you left you pilot on and gas supply from tank, I guess it would deplete your gas as well. That's an outside chance, but nonetheless you should also check on the recall.