Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are owners of a 2006 Zinger 240 fb that has never had a leak before this summer, appears to be excellent condition, few minor problems resolved. Now for the rest of the story, I took it out of winter storage at the end of June and brought it in to dealer to have it summerized, clean roof, inspect, caulk if needed. After five trips to fix leaks it is due for pickup today again, This time it was pressure tested and additional leaks on awniing side were found and again repaired. I should mention that dealer has been very reasonable to deal with so far on service issues. Haven't spent one night in TT yet this summer, due to new sprinkler system, no rain in the immediate forcast.

Has anyone else had sudden roof problems that could not be resolved?

Is this the end of reliability? Unit spends 6 months inside storeage each winter, about time to find winter storage again or?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Fixing is cheaper than trading!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

If anything starts to Nickle and dime me I replace it, but that is just me.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Latest repairs to roof by dealer held up in two storms that could only be described as terrible and the worst that I've been in while in the TT. Was headed to the GMC when it lessened somewhat. The last repairs appear to be sucessful. I have extended service contract from route 66 that is more like a security blanket but it does not cover many of the things that go wrong.

Crossroads gets credit for having helpful people that provide support information long after our 06 is out of 2 year warranty.

Considering Zinger 260bl as replacement but what I consider as premature wear to roof and elsewhere with insecurity at pulling much heavier unit have me looking elsewhere as well.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
New Camper

I have Zinger and have roof leaks over the bedroom skylight and at the front side window. The water comes in pretty hard even in a light rain so I assume it is accumulating somewhere. The dealer has been out as well as another local service provider.You mentioned the dealer fixed leaks on the awning side. Can you describe where the leaks were?
WestfieldScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Since many possibilities wereaddressed at same time, I'm not certainwhat was the final solution. If your zingeris like mine and you have already attempted the obvious vents and end seals. I would check the attachment of the awning mounts screws on the top. Back out screws, put sealer on, then tighten carefully.

Also the removable seal strip on the rain gutter where it attaches to the roof can disguise all kinds of problems that hide in plain sight and result in almost instant problems as the rain water is diverted there first. I think that a roll of it costs less then $20 if you replace it after inspection asit can be hard to reuse. Look for problems in the attachment screws in the channel or missing screws. Use the proper sealer,

Therepair shopthen left the ceiling speaker open to aid in the drying process. I inspect the Zinger frequently and have found not a drop after much rain here. But I do keep a precautionary plastic cover on the bed. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I do not get to see my Zinger that often as I only really use it for hunting. I have been in contact with my dealer who will assist but I think I will be involved as well. I like what I read about pouring water on the roof in small locations to try to find the source. I think I will start at the area closest to the problem and work back. I like what I have read from you all and much thanks for information.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

UPDATE

Last repairs held up well for the rest of the summer and more storms with no problems. Didn't find a suitable replacement at a price that I could afford due to very low trade-in offered on a high priced unit. Still have almost two years of extended service contract left. Guess I'll keep Zinger and seek winter indoor storage soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
New Camper

I have a great dealer and he made several trips up to my camper. It seems the water was coming in near the mounting of the canopy (similar to other posts). There was also some questionable areas where the roof met sidewall. All have been caulked and the problem appears to be fixed!