Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Siding is bowing out while driving

We bought our Zinger 28BH a couple of years ago. Our warranty expired August of last year. This summer we noticed the siding is bowing out while going >40MPH. And it bows alot! I would say 3-4 inches out. It is only in the front of the camper, on both sides. We contacted Camping World where we purchased it and they gave up a quote for nearly $3000 to tear off the walls and fix it. We called Crossroads 2x and they will not fix it! We are so upset since we only take 6-8 trips a year and never more than 3 hours away.
Anyone else with this problem?
Rechichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Best get it fixed before you take it out again you don't want it to blow out at a seam, i had a different brand with the aluminum siding and coming home from a trip it was windy and the pressure built up blew mine out at a side seam along the left front side about 3 feet long and as in mine i could see the side moving, when it's windy out you needed to slow down other wise it well cause pressure build up more so under aluminum siding, when i got home i emptied it out and traded it in on our new 32 RL best thing i did.
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Do you have slides and that's what's bowing or is it the top pressure on the sides ?

Obviously weight does matter, so unload the upper cabinets and move as much weight down low as possibile...I had to 'suggest' to my DW to put the canned goods in the BOTTOM cabinets and the pillows in the top ones

Also, maybe get some slideout locks to solidify the slide/sides a bit more ?

you DO have insurance on it don't you ?
if you are towing and it falls apart, is it covered by your insurance ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Differences in air pressure is causing the aluminum siding to pull away from the lauan panel. So traveling at higher speeds certainly makes the problem worse. It is also possible that CR did a poor job of stapling the siding in the first place, unfortunately you won't know til the work is in progress and CR will probably still deny warranty coverage.

The quote from your dealer is probably realistic, there is a lot of labor involved. It is possible to make the repairs yourself, removing all of the edge trim, windows, doors and other wall penetrations, then removing one section of siding at a time. Re-install using plenty of staples and angle them, up, down or sideways to minimize the tendency to pull out. Or use small, short wood screws.

A cheap and maybe tacky alternative is to add some extra 'penetrations' at strategic places to compensate for the failed staples, a flag pole mount, an outdoor speaker, basically something screwed thru the aluminum siding, lauan panel and into the studs, must be well caulked.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Another suggestion may be to add screws at the worst points where siding bulges.

You could likely gently push (also look inside for staples) to find the studs. If you put a couple simple screws in, may not be too noticable. Just be sure to silicone the screw before going in.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Did you ever have this problem solved? Thank you!

Tags
siding, warranty, zinger 28bh