Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

2011 30KB at dealership, blown converter which blew microwave and outdoor fridge, dealer is asking me if I plug my unit into a surge protector at the campgrounds electricity hookup. Does anyone use a surge protector? I was never told I needed this at the time I purchased and none of the other people we camp with uses a surge protector. Now seems like the rv that is under warranty may not get fixed saying that it was my fault that I did not use a surge protector. Was anyone else told to buy this at purchase time?

2009 F-150 Super Crew

McKinney, Texas

bella3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Boy that's a new one on me. I seem to remember reading that the warranty could be voided if you "did" wire in a surge protector.
Do a search here on the forum for sure protectors, or surge guards. You should come up with a lot of good reading.
I have a surge guard hard wired in on our 5er.
Do you or they know what blew the convertor and all the appliances?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Was camping at the same campground we have for 2 years, not sure what happened there were no storms, however had ac, both fridges and water heater was on electric then turned on microwave and that is when it happened. Did it once before and it blew the breaker at the street, this time blew inside. Dealer says some sort of surge came into rv. Normally do not run water heater on elec, but ran out of propane that morning.

2009 F-150 Super Crew

McKinney, Texas

bella3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Well by the sounds of it, you were trying to run and awful lot of stuff at the same time, but still, I would think it should have tripped your main breaker before doing all that damage.
30 amp or 50 amp??
If there is some way to check that main breaker, I would do it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If the dealer says you need it for warrenty work ask him why it wasnen't installed at the factory. While your at it ask him if he has one on his house.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I used a surge protector that connects between the outlet and camper. Later I upgraded to power master (like a autoformer) both do the same wired into the camper so I now have surge protection as well as voltage protection.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have never plugged in from Day 1 without the Surge Guard but that point is moot with your situation. If the dealer refuses to do the work under warranty it is time to contact CR directly. I agree on the point concerning not having a surge protector as standard equipment. CR needs to fix your coach under warranty.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
New Camper

I am not a Crossroads owner, but my dealer is a Crossroads dealer. When I recently took delivery of a new TT, I specifically asked about surge protection and was told it was not needed. Specifically, the dealer stated "I can sell you one for $300, but NOBODY I KNOW USES A SURGE PROTECTOR." This same dealer had 14 Zingers SOLD, on the lot undergoing prep at the time I took delivery (just happened to count because my brother-in-law had just bought one). That puzzled me at the time, having read so many horror stories. Therefore I sprung for a surge protector, because the dealer's reply did not seem right.

Reading your post, it now occurs to me that the warranty problem is a separate issue. The damage (in theory) may be from a flaw in the campground's shore power, and not from any defect in manufacture of the TT, which might make it an issue for your insurance or the campground's insurance as opposed to a warranty issue.

Having said that, it makes NO SENSE that the dealer would suggest the damage would be covered under warranty only if surge protection had been in use.

"I don't own a Crossroads RV, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night."
Yardbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I use and I feel everyone should use a surge protector from the horror stories and seeing the damage a surge can do.

beeman is offline   Reply With Quote