Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am towing a 26ft. Zinger and want to upgrade to a better tow vehical. I am presently towing with a 95 Suburban. We go the the races all season long and put on about 10k miles each race season. What do you people think I should tow with? -Ford, Chevy -Mopar- Cummings-???
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What do you like? How big do you want? Common thought is the bigger the better. The Ford's diesel is new so it does not yet have a track record. It does have awesome power. The new Duramax also has awesome power and a very proven track record. The Cummins is very reliable but lags far behind both the new Ford and revised Duramax in towing power. If you buy a new 3/4 or 1 ton be prepared for sticker shock.

Buy what suits your needs not what someone else tells you and you will be happy.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I tow my 25rk with a 2002 chevy 6.0 gasser with 4:10 gears it pulls good enough for me

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel

S.O.B (some other brand)

2011 Rockwood 8319SS
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hi 'racechaser'

I like the answers above for all the right reasons. I started in trailering2007 with a 2004HD 2500, 6.0 Gasser.' It towed fine with mileage around 7.9 for my ZT-320 Zinger Quad Bunk 32 footer at around 8000 + lbs. Hills were a bit of a concern as we went to Myrtle Beach and Visiting friends in Tennessee as well as local camping in the Western Pa area. In 2009 I found a 2006 HD 3500 (both are crew cabs) Duramax, 6.6 Turbo Diesel. The difference was phenomenal!!! I will NEVER go back to a gas truck as long as I'm pulling a trailer. The hills in W. Virginia and out of N. Carolina into Virginia were a piece of cake. Mileage went to 15.6 empty and 12.9 loaded. Unfortunately, I just saw a new GMC with the Duramax and it's sticker was $56,000. I found mine used for $26,000 and it had 39,000 miles on it. My 2004 gas was traded at $13,000 with 69,000 miles. I was looking for a year at Dodge, Chevy and Ford but the Chevy came available at the right time for the right money. I've driven 2 friends Ford Diesels and loved them and the most recent fire trucks I've been able to operate as a volunteer have Cummins engines in them so the key for me was DIESEL!!! If you're running the hills and valleys going to races in the south...you may want to consider the power options of the diesel.

The Cavanaugh's

2006 Chevy HD 3500 Pullin'

ZT320QB Hardly feel it!
cavy16262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Get the diesel; whichever brand floats your boat. You'll never go back.

Trust me on that.

Tickling 200K as I write this.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I am partial to the GM Duramax diesel trucks

Model year 2006 - beginning of year 2007, has a "D" in the 8th position of the serial nbr (RPO code LBZ) are the years with the least emission controls, and the most fixes that GM has incorporated into their Duramax diesel line (both GMC & Chevy). Model years 04.5 / 05 (has a 2 in pos 8) were the LLY engines and some of them overheat/run hot (we have one of those but it is paid for and I am fixing it). The LBZ's have a 33% bigger radiator, and the 32 bitBosch computer that the earlier trucksdon't have. The 07.5's brought on the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and mileagecan drop at times significantly due to the regen process.

There are significant nbrs of low mileage LBZ trucks on the market right now. There is a crew cab one over in Maryland with only 7000 miles on it and one in Kentucky I had found for my bro-in-law with 5K, no mods, always kept in a garage.

Look on www.autotrader.com

GM is having issues with the 2011 diesel due to the urea (DES) fluid freezing in the colder areas of our continent (Canada, upper US). They don't quite have it worked out yet.

A well taken care of LBZ truck will do exactly what you need without breaking the bank even with the cost of diesel going up.If it was me, I would go for a crewcab short bed, (that is what we have).Thelong wheel base (but not as long as an 8 ft bed)makes pulling a trailer super easy, but if you don't need the extra doors, there are some extended cab long bed trucks on the market.

Keep in mind tho, that the short bed trucks (crewcab or extended) only have a 26 gallon tank.

We pulled a 28 ft Salem travel trailer and last fall just got a 30 Cruiser TT andours handles it just very well.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote