Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question for you guys: What kind of sway control do you use for the 19RD?

I have the Reese Friction Sway Control / Weight Distribution hitch (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...itch-kits/7982) and so far, not great.

I've spent hours adjusting it, tuning it, checking my weights at truck scales, making sure to have 12%-15% tongue weights, and still get sway pulling it with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The truck pulls it like a champ but the trailer will kick and scream quite a bit. I've been able to improve the performance of the hitch but its still not great. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much - I've never pulled box trailers before. Friends of mine say when pulling their larger trailers they never feel a car passing much less get sway.

I'm going to try to contact Reese about this as well; in thinking through the problem and double checking all parts I have noticed that the bar on the drivers side is much much harder to attach than the passenger; so there is adiscrepancysomewhere -- perhaps I'm only getting 50% of the hitch not sure, but since this forum has been great to read and gather ideas I wanted to see what others were using.

When towing, even at 55, I can see the trailer trying to sway a bit and the first car to pass will push me with there bow wave, then the trailer will start to twitch some more and escalate from there. I've never felt out of control or worried for my safety, but towing it long distances feels like you've been riding on a boat with the side to side action. And of course the big rigs cause me to steer to the right then to the left.

Again, let me know what is 'normal' (I've read you should be able to pull with no steering corrections) and what you guys are successfully using.

Thanks!
And a side note: On mile 1800 of our 2000 mile trip our passenger side plastic fender came half off and started flapping . Apparently when it was mounted they didn't put the first few screws into any support, just through the sheet metal so it finally came undone forcing me to pull over and take it all off until we could get home. Not a big deal to fix yourself, but just an ounce more attention by the assembly team would have sure saved me a lot of trouble today! So check yours (you shouldn't be able to see the screw backings). The fender on my driver side was done correctly.
TxZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Do you perhaps have too much weight too far to the rear of the trailer??????????

Do you travel with tanks full?

That oneweight baris hard to connect is interesting....is it the same side? at different locations?Are your chains the same length?

I pull a longer heavier trailer with a Reese Dist/anti-sway set up and I get very little pull from a tractor-trailer....I don't even notice cars.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I don't have much weight at all in the rear; I even spent time/$ weighing each axle, tongue, etc. to figure this out.

However, this AM I may have hit on something. After Classic hinted it's not normal for one side to be much harder than the other, I went down that route. I took the two bars off and compared them. Turns out one is manufactured upside down; the bars have a small arc in them so one arcs down, and one up! Whoa! And I can't just flip one upside down (whichever one is right I don't know) because of how they fit in.

I bought them at Camping World and went down there this morning and they are going to order a new kit for me and let me swap the bars; should be in late next week. I'm really really hoping this takes care of my issue. This also would explain why when I'm fully hitched up the steering wheel would be slightly cocked to the left! Too bad I didn't realize this a week ago before we went on a 2k mile trip!

We're going out again next weekend so with any luck they'll come in before we leave- AND it will solve my problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

My bars could be bolted from either side.....are you sure yours are not just mis-assembled?
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

They will fit on either side, but the bars are two pieces pressed into one by the manufacturer. So yes I can swap sides, but I can't turn it upside down (which would be right side up).