Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello All,
New to the forums here, lots of useful info. We just purchased a used 2010 Zinger 19RD. It came with a never used in-the-box weight distribution hitch/sway bar. We are hooking it up to a 2002 Ford Explorer. The issue is that the tongue height of the Zinger seems quite low for where it needs to sit on the truck. Has anyone had this issue? We are thinking we might need a longer shank, but that is another $200 apparently, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Zingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You should have an adjustable drawbar. Ours was setup by the dealer, but it has 4 or 5 bolt holes to allow height adjustment. What kind of hitch is it? May I suggest going to Trailerlife.com for some helpful advice on hitch setup or maybe consulting the dealer (if you bought trailer from a dealer)?

Link to trailerlife is: http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

You need to spend some time on this. Hitch setup is 2nd most important thing (only to having the correct tow vehicle). If you have a poor hitch setup, a small trailer will tow terrible with a 1-ton truck.

Eddy
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have a '10 19RD as well; I had to buy a hitch bar that was much larger (that had a longer drop) than what came in my kit because the trailers coupler is pretty low. Check out etrailer.com for some good price usually. Don't skimp or 'just make due' with anything on the hitching and sway control - you want everything to be as safe and comfortable as possible!
TxZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Zingy,

We also have a 2010 Zinger RD. Our previous tow vehicle was a Ford Explorer. We had to get the longer shank for our WD hitch. Also for future consideration you might want to get a sway control device, we did and it helped a lot for the sway we experienced.

I would suggest that you get a good tranny cooler on the Explorer and get the tow mirror extensions. Also a good brake controller is worth the money. Here is a link to a Ford Explorer towing forum that I got a lot of good information from. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...play.php?f=134

Happy Travels
DandK is offline   Reply With Quote