Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

To avoid all kinds of explanation questions; let me set the stage for this question.
Zinger, ZT25SB, winterized, water heater bypassed and empty, tanks drained via low point drains.
Now, as I've done for years with my motorhome, I prepare a bucket of bleachy water, put the suction hose in the bucket for the pump, start up the pump and try to pump chlorine water thru all the piping, out the outside shower into my water hoses (those I use to supply water to camper when camping) so I can dis-infect all hoses and piping. Turn on the pump and I get water out of each faucet, red antifreeze first; then clear water but it has a lot of air in it. pressure is low. Keep pumping water til all lines are clear of antifreeze. But, lo and behold, the water in the bucket has not gone down! Oops, I forgot the valve to connect the suction hose to the pump. Turn this valve on and now the bucket starts to empty and I chlorinate all lines as described. So, question is, where in hell did the water come from when the bucket was not connected? Was there residual water in the fresh water tank that didn't drain out when the drain was opened? Mystery Mystery Mystery.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

That is exactly where it came from. The water tank will hold about 8 or so gallons of water after you drain it from the low point drain at the tank. The drain is about 1 1/2" up the side as is the pick up tube. So when you run out of water at the pump there is actually more water in the tank, it's just below the pick up tube. There is a mod to fix the pickup tube issue. Do a search on this forum.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Stan, I hear what you are saying but, if the pick up tube and drain are at the same level, I should not have been able to pick up water. If the pick up tube is lower than the drain, then I can understand but then winterizing would leave water in the pick up tube and all the way to the pump.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Here is a link Stan may be talking about. Greg Paine's website has the mods he did on his Cruiser. Most are very good or at least great ideas. Here is the link to the water tank pickup mod to get more water from your tank. http://www.gregpaine.com/pp/pp041/index.htm For a list of all his mods go tohttp://www.gregpaine.com/cr/index.htm

Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks. I looked at that mod and the others on the list too. Most not for my style camper but good ideas. It looks like his drain and the outlet of the tank were at the same level. Mine has to have the pump outlet lower from the experience I had. I'll have to go investigate.
Thanks for the help. I did several searches and could not find it but you did.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
New Camper

Dear all

I think the greatest example of areas that come up with water scarcity is Dubai and all the middle east & gulf countries

and they have gathered water from no where

cheers

biswabm is offline   Reply With Quote