Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wheel/Axle Issues on 2012 Crossroad Zingers?

Quick question...has anyone else had issues with losing wheels/broken axle spindles on their 2012 Crossroads Zingers? Day 1 of our 10-day camping roadtrip last week resulted in us physically losing the rear wheel from the spindle of the back axle about 350 mile into our trip. We safely pulled over, but the rear axle was dragging the ground and the wheel was somewhere along I-20 in South Carolina! There doesn't appear to be any recalls on the 2012 Zinger Axles, but the 2006 and 2015 models have axle recalls. The repair shop said that the entire axle would have to be replaced once a separation of this magnitude had occurred. The broken axle was a Lippert Component and would have to be replaced with the same model. They said it would take 10 working days to receive a new axle, and I have not been advised of the total cost yet. I have the AAA Plus w/RV coverage...and it took them 4 hours in 108 degree heat to assist us, so I'm very disappointed with AAA right now! Any comments would be appreciated! I guess I'm just totally disappointed and in shock that a 3 year old camper would have something like this happen to it when all maintenance has been regularly performed on it.
Thanks!!

2012 Crossroads Zinger 26BL

2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew Truck w/V8

and Hercules...our mighty Chihuahua!
Poplin4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

I know of one other member with a similar situation.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ally-8485.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much Lloyd!! That's the exact same tire/axle and everything that happened to me!! I wonder if there may be a recall or something...or someone I can contact about getting reimbursement for these repairs? I've also posted on the other member's site that you linked me too. Odd that it happened exactly the same way as mine!!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had a similar incident last fall with my 2010 Cruiser. My insurance paid for the repairs except for the $50 deductible. I was 7 hours waiting for AAA, they were unable to find a roll back large enough for the RV and truck. All their units were in use. I made my own arrangements and was reimbursed by AAA. Tow bill was $1200 for 20 miles. Lippert said they didn't have any inventory and it would take up to 10 days to build. Axle was shipped in 5 days but it took 8 business days to get from Indiana to Louisiana.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We waited for AAA for 4 hours in 108 degree heat on the side of the interstate. They couldn't find a rollback, but the service guy who came out somehow rigged the front axle to support the rear axle and raised it off of the ground enabling us to drive the 10 miles to his shop. We were told it would take 10 working days to get the axle in, but would be a quick fix once in. Just wish it wasn't 350 miles away from home! I'm asking my Insurance Agent about what is covered if any...my deductible is $250. I do have the AAA Plus w/RV coverage so I'm hoping some of my campground cancellations will be covered.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f9&oe=561544EA

This is what was left of the axle after the occurrence.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Hard to see in the pic but it looks like the castle nut came off? The spindle looks to still be there and the brake shoes are extremely worn from the loose wheel assembly as it worked itself loose. Bad bearing maybe?

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Wheel/axle issue 2012 Zinger

Iam shaking in my boots reading this thread. I just purchased 2012 Zinger new to me used from Pvt owner, with not much history. It was owned by his recently deceased Father In laws.
The real scare is I purchased in Florida, and about to tow it home to NY 1300 miles.
He had bearings repacked and brakes checked ?? Before he towed it from Ohio to Florida.
Appreciate any advice, what to look for??
Thank you....
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Zinger Axle Issue

Hello Bowhunter,
I wouldn't let my experience shake you up too badly...I'm sure this could have happened to any camper. I'm hoping this was just an isolated incident due to some weird issue with the bearings or something. Once my axle was replaced, I had them check and repack the other bearings just to make sure I was in good shape. I make the 450 mile trip back home without incident, but am always going to be on edge worrying about it happening again. We love our Zinger and that has really been the only issue we have experienced. My Camper insurance and AAA reimbursed me for all expenses incurred, but we can never replace the 10-day camping vacation that we would have experienced. However, I always think things happen for a reason...so maybe this was just one of those things?
Happy Camping!
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Iam shaking in my boots reading this thread. I just purchased 2012 Zinger new to me used from Pvt owner, with not much history. It was owned by his recently deceased Father In laws.
The real scare is I purchased in Florida, and about to tow it home to NY 1300 miles.
He had bearings repacked and brakes checked ?? Before he towed it from Ohio to Florida.
Appreciate any advice, what to look for??
Thank you....

Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Jack it up & grab tire at 3 & 9 & give it a shake, should not move or make a rattling noise. Next remove the dust cover off the spindle & make sure there's a cotter pin in the castle nut, if not check the bearing by spinning the wheel & tightening the nut, once you've snugged it enough the wheel hardly turns back off nut to line up a hole & put a pin in. That's a good time to adjust the brakes also. While spinning the wheel tighten adjuster til there's a bit of a drag then back it off 1 click. You should then be good to go.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Wheel/axle issue 2012 Zinger

Thank you for quick reply. Good advice I will do that. I'm somewhat relieved but will be glad to have the 1300 miles behind me once home.
I also noticed pretty intense rear wheel camber on turning when leaving storage yard, but wheels plumbed went straight when TVand TT were aligned, and pulled and towed beautifully. My recent TT Forest River dual axle 26' I never noticed it so severe.
The difference ? The Forest River did not have leaf springs at all (direct axle to frame mount) and a very narrow space between tires less than three inches! The CR Zinger boasts "Secure Stance" axles. Would that cause that camber to happen? And is this what eats up LippertAxles?
So much appreciate the responses.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

Most all tandem axles will have gnarly looking contortion of the axles in tight turns, if you think that looks bad watch the triple axles. That is why the outside edges of all tires seem to wear faster than the centers & if tire is severely under inflated it could peel it off the wheel.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hey thx Travlin Texans. Im feeling better all the time. Just a little anxious with a maiden 1300 mi tow. Will jack and ck wheel bearings, although called shop who did work gave WO # and verified all bearings repacked for $237.00 1 yr ago and since towed Ohio to Fl now im going Fl to NY. Still puckered over the Lippert axle failures on the 2012 Zingers. Glad when home! Thx again.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Get in the truck and drive after checking out bearings. You should have no problems. Good luck with your trip.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
Gone Traveling

I agree! Just go enjoy the adventure!