Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I did a check tonight to get ready for a trip. With the controller on max the front axle brakes could be locked but the rear axle free rolled. I checked and there is wiring to the rear axle so I am assuming that it has brakes too.

The owners manual claims that the trailer came with an extensive manual on the axles and brakes. Not in the pack of stuff thatI got with it when I bought it new from the dealer a couple of years ago. Plus I was not impressed by the dealer setup on the trailer (Camping World of Rochester, NY). They missed enough little things on the setupthat I am not sure that they even checked the brakes. I would prefer not to go back to them for service.

Electric brakes are pretty simple so I want to take a quick look for the obvious things. Does anybody know where the fuses or breakers are for the brakes? They are not in the main fuse panel (at least not labeled in there).

Dave
n36078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I believe that the power for your brakes comes from the TV. It does not make sence to me that the front axle is working but the rear is not unless there is a brake padadjustment problemor wiring issue between the axles. Was your test done by lifting each axle of the trailer or watching from the side while stopping. The weight shift while stopping puts more pressure on the front axle. On a car thereis a pressurelimit switchbuilt into your brakes to compensate for this. Not sure how this works on a dual axle trailer
Mechanicis still in my blood.
Dave

2011 Dodge ram 1500
nowthatsarealzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Power does come from the controller in the TV. I was assuming that there were fuses on each axle but there may not be. All I did was a quick test on it by running the controller up to max output and hitting the paddle then pulling the trailer in the driveway. There was a full lock on both brakes on the front axle but the rear rolled.

I guess that the next check would be to lift it and see if anything at all is happening on the rear axle. It may be that the rears were never adjusted. It is either that or a bad connection to the rear axle. I doubt that the brake mechanism would have gone bad on both sides.

Dave
n36078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The brake wire runs out of the lower membrane and into the brake
assemble on one side and through the axle to the assembly on the other
side. There are a couple of visible connections to check near the
axles. I agree it is probably not the assemblies (or adjustment) but
rather the loss of 12v somewhere after the front axle. I would get a
voltmeter and see if you can start tracing where you have 12v and where
you don't. It may be a bad connection above the membrane though.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

checking with the brake controller can be misleading. I did the same test and found left side wheels dragged and right side didn't. Pull the emergency break-away plug in the front, as if your trailer broke loose from the tow vehicle, and then try your test again. This will apply max power to all wheels.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote