Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
New Camper

We have a Zinger 29DS (a 29' trailer with dual opposing 11 foot slide outs in the rear).

Even with the corner jacks down and snug and extra jacks under each side of the frame just forward of the wheels, the trailer shakes like Jello! I can nod my head and watch the window blind pull cords sway.

Is this just the way it is for a trailer with dual opposing slide outs or am I missing something? We've only been RVing for a year and only had this trailer for 2 months.

How do you know how snug to make the corner jacks? I seems like I could pick the trailer up off its wheels if I kept on cranking, but I stop when it feels like I've put a small uplift on the frame.

How about extra jacks? Do they help and where should I put them? Should I consider the special jacks that go under the slideouts?

I've also looked at products like Steadyfast that put supports between the jacks. Anyone tried those and do they help?

Any advice would be appreciated!

TheManns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The stock corner jacks will not lift the trailer wheels by a long shot, they will break or bend first. They are not designed for that. If you have them cranked down really tight there is not to much more you can do. I would not buy supports for the slide outs as that is not recommended. I added a set of Eliminator Stabilizers to our 5th wheel and it made a night and day difference in taking movement out of ours.

http://www.tweetys.com/theeliminator...ultra-fab.aspx
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Team

I will put my vote in for the eliminator stabilizers also. I got mine here----
http://www.plugitright.com/Page3.html
These people "Dutch & Diane" are really nice people and are available for you to talk to if you have any problems with installation.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManns

I've also looked at products like Steadyfast that put supports between the jacks. Anyone tried those and do they help?

Does anyone have any experience with the Steadyfast system? This is the first time I've heard of it. It looks kind ofinteresting www.steadyfast.com

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If your corner jacks are the standard scissor type, look into the BAL jacks. I swapped mine out and it made a lot of difference. The BAL's are much more stable.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Like others have mentioned, these solved the same problem that you're having.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=339

We didn't have near the movement in our old '92 5er with no slides, but believe me, we'd never go back. Good Luck!

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
If your corner jacks are the standard scissor type, look into the BAL jacks. I swapped mine out and it made a lot of difference. The BAL's are much more stable.

Stan - I'm curious. What's the difference between the BAL and the standard scissor jacks that makes them more stable.Are the just heavier? Do they have a different way of attaching them? I can't see any difference from the pics on the web site.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I had to change out our rear scissor jacks because of a small boo boo on my part. I went with the BAL replacement jacks because Camping World had them on sale (and they are still on sale) for the same price as the stock ones. The stock jacks may be rated for 2500 lbs. max and were very light and flimsy when I removed them. The BALI bought were rated for 7500lbs. and I had to use my floor jack to support them while I mounted them because they are so much heavier. With the BAL scissor jacks and the Elinimators our trailer has no movement once it is setup.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Keith - good info. I am definately looking into stabilization options.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Rock 1424..Just to amplify what Kieth said, the standard jacks essentially mount as a single point attachment soeach jack works independantly. The BAL's mount in tandem on a brace that runs the width of the rig. The design of the jack itself allows any movement of the rig on one jack to be counteracted by the other side jack.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
New Camper

I have anew 29DS that had a similar problem. It was because I was extending the jacks out too far. I used 2 8" blocks under my back two jacks so that they were not so long. The more spread out they are the more stable. Hope u understand and it helped
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote