Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Zinger build quality vs. other brands/models of TT's?

I've got a 2011 Zinger 19RDS. To be honest, the built quality on it is pretty terrible. I've found lots of places where they did a poor job of assembling things inside, trim pieces not lines up well, how things are sealed up on the outside and underneath the trailer, and just the overall quality of the outside of the camper. I have some friends with newer campers (don't remember what brands they were) and they all seem much better built.

Have campers in general gotten better, or are the Zingers just not built as good as other campers?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Zingers are one of the least expensive models Crossroads build. Different material inside and out. But the quality of an rv built is always an issue throughout the rv industry.

A good PDI would catch a lot of problems before pickup. And you do have a warranty. Work with the dealer to get repairs done. Stay firm but not argumentative.

Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Zingers are one of the least expensive models Crossroads build. Different material inside and out. But the quality of an rv built is always an issue throughout the rv industry.

A good PDI would catch a lot of problems before pickup. And you do have a warranty. Work with the dealer to get repairs done. Stay firm but not argumentative.

Good luck

Not sure the warranty is still good on my 2nd owner, 2011 Zinger.....
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think we got lucky with our Zinger.

Yes, it is built down to a price, but we knew that going in.

The saving grace is there's not much on it that I couldn't fix myself, so for me the gamble was worth it.

Everything under the floor is from LCI, so I'm guessing the chassis and axles are pretty much what you'd find on a similar sized camper with a $15k or $20K premium over what we paid.

As we've used 'Harvey', and noted his shortcomings, I've systematically gone through and upgraded bits here and there to our complete satisfaction.

The best thing is, there's always someone on here to help you with any hurdles you encounter. I hope you enjoy your journey as much a we're enjoying ours.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Here is a large list of recommended rv maintenance. I think some owners underestimate the maintenance required on an rv.

Here's a large and detailed list: rv maintenance checklist

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Site Team

The opinion's stated below are mine and are not meant to offend anyone.

First there are different levels of campers i.e.: Entry. Mid. And High end. The Zinger is a entry level trailer. When comparing yours to your friends you have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Next the build level could be better. I have been on a factory tour at a Forest river plant building entry level campers and to the Crossroads factory that was building high end trailers. Two different worlds. Bottom line is the factory builds these trailers and they catch most things before they leave the factory. Then the dealer should catch anything else and the buyer should go over the camper with a fine tooth comb before delivery.

Next you ask have campers in general gotten better? They have evolved to meet the consumers demands. 25 years ago 15 to 21 foot campers were the norm. Yes you could pull them with a 1/2 ton truck but most trailers larger then that would require a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a big block because the trailers weighed a lot. Then people wanted more room so the tip out was added and that became the slide out we have today. Today trailers have 2.3.4.5 slide outs. And as weight went up the manufactures had to find a way to reduce it so the mid and high end trailers got aluminum frames . The entry level trailers got thinner materials I.E. the roof. floor even the studs in the wall were made littler to reduce weight.

The trucks have evolved too. Trucks used to "ride like a truck" now they have replaced the second car and while they ride nice they don't hold the load so you have to add helper springs or air bags to raise the rear up. And a lot of people are pulling 30 to 38 foot trailers with 1/2 ton trucks so the RV industry has to make the trailers weigh less.

They are also building record numbers of campers. Not to long ago you could go to a state park or C.O.E. park and get a spot on a Friday night now you have to have a reservation sometimes months in advance to have a spot.

One last thing: I remember reading somewhere that pulling your camper down the road is like going thru a 3.5 magnitude earthquake. They will and do shake. twist.and bounce so things will require maintenance. Like the caulking. If I am not to busy relaxing I go over my cruiser and check the screws as some have loosened in the past. I check and re caulk as necessary All of this is just part of owning a camper.

One last last thing : When the warranty is over its over. They do not have a lifetime warranty. If your truck is out of warranty GM. Ford. Or Dodge will not fix it so why would your trailers manufacture. Also understand the camper has many different parts and most of these have there own warranty's. And yes a lot of the dealers leave something to be desired.

AGAIN THE OPINIONS STATED ABOVE ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS AND ARE NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

dagst1,

I think I speak for everyone in saying I'm completely offended...!

HEE HEE HEE Only kidding, you tell it like it is, I respect that. Well said.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Thank you. And I was getting worried that I Had offended no one.

Happy camping
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote