Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Zinger RL27 and DirecTV

I've got to hand it to DirecTV and their installation team. The tech was at my house for over two hours re-routing the terrible coax cabling installed at the factory. The tech called Crossroads to ask questions and they told him, "Sorry, we can't seem to find a drawing, so, just trace it out." They also told him that the cable input jack on the back of the trailer wasn't really meant for satellite hook-up; only campground cable hook-up. What??!! The tech had to run new cabling under the chassis, added a splitter and did other magic tricks to finally receive a signal. SHAME on you, Crossroads! What an inferior job! Of course your customers want access to satellite TV with a dish. We may not want to rough it all the time! Has anyone else experienced this with their Zinger? Please share!!
CamperQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

I agree with the (shame on you) to Crossroads, but you will have to send them and email to get that message there. They do not own or operate this forum. Probably never do any monitoring of it either.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Our 2014 Zinger has worked fine with Satellite TV. I separated cable from the TV jack, but didn't have to run a new line.

Our 2012 Zinger sucked. I had to crimp new ends on all of it.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I never have understood why satellite can not be plugging into the "cable" hookup? It is the same darn cable.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks Eddy, for your feedback. The panel behind the TV in my TT only contains one port for coax; same as your 2014? Were you able to plug in to the factory installed female jack on the back of the trailer? Explain to me a bit more about how you separated the cable from the TV jack please. I appreciate your time and efforts.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

AGREED, TIM! It makes no logical sense but that's exactly what they told the tech and indeed, he was NOT able to receive the signal from the exterior jack to the inside wall panel. CRAZY. Have you heard this before now?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

You're right, Lloyd. Believe me, Crossroads is certainly aware of my opinion!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I googled it on our first unit. Here is the deal: You cannot use satellite thru the single factory coax because the satellite signal will not go "thru" the booster circuitry.

On our 2012, we added a male/male adapter to the faceplate and moved the WHITE wire (this was the one from the rear cable jack) to this adapter.

On our 2014, the jack/faceplate is inside the upper cabinet above TV swivel. Actually, the wire was long enough that I pulled it thru an opening in the side panel, and hooked it to a male/male adapter.

I have also purchased an IR repeater. The repeater has a sensor that will go by TV, and mount to receive, which will allow us to put receiver in upper cabinet and keep doors closed.

We open up tomorrow (WOOO HOOO). I will snap a couple pics of the whole setup and post them in this thread.
2014 Zinger 32QB
Old 04-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperQueen View Post
AGREED, TIM! It makes no logical sense but that's exactly what they told the tech and indeed, he was NOT able to receive the signal from the exterior jack to the inside wall panel. CRAZY. Have you heard this before now?
Yes, Like Eddy said it has something to do with the booster. With cable you have to turn booster off. Don't know why you cant do the same for sat. Seems like it would be easier to take booster out of line than to run another dedicated sat cable. I don't have one so I don't know.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Opened up this weekend, and it was a chilly one, but the rain stayed south Saturday and we had a nice weekend!

Photos are of our DirecTV setup. The WHITE wire on the back of the booster assembly comes from the rear cable jack (black is from antenna, and depending on model, there will be another wire going to second TV jack).

I pulled wire CAREFULLY and had enough to come thru the hole where AV cables come from Radio/DVD unit. It was on a male/male connector. It now goes right to receiver. You CAN NOT run sat TV thru the booster connection.

We have receiver inside upper cabinet, and the infrared repeater works great. It is USB powered by the TV (Samsung 32").
2014 Zinger 32QB
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Don't think photos uploaded...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DTV-3.jpg (389.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DTV-2.jpg (361.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DTV-1.jpg (470.7 KB, 4 views)
2014 Zinger 32QB