Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #21
New Camper

What we've decided for now is to research like crazy and make sure we know what we are doing! We usually do research any big purchases (sometimes for years!). We aren't worried about his truck locally; but we do want to do roadtrips in the summer with our daughter, so we are looking at something lighter so we feel safer towing.

I figure in a few years we can always upgrade if we want something different! =)
USer920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

your tundra can do it, but you will overheat the transmission even towing locally without installing a transmission cooler. When I towed without one, it was never for more than an hour or 2 at most from home and no big hills (MD, DE, SE PA, NJ type areas) and even with a very light horse trailer, I boiled the transmission. You don't need a new truck just add a part. It will be ok. Research is good. We researched for a year before buying our TT. Glad we did, we ended up with the perfect trailer for us. Problem was we killed our older SUV towing with the trailer. So now we have the new to us TV. Good luck to you.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

I agree with the aftermarket tranny cooler for any towing.
People with overheated engines often don't realize it is the tranny doing it. For those that don't know, the tranny on some vehicles is cooled by a line that goes into and shares the radiator for the vehicle. So, when the tranny overheats it overheats the radiator, then the engine is overheated. At times people try to fix an overheating problem with out fixing the actual cause.
Just my 2 cents.

We too researched our TT's to death but it payed off in the long run.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Mnsunset, Good point about that being an internal cooler. I had forgotten about that. On my truck I had repaced the power steering cooler this past year. It was not the trans cooler as I had thought. I have three "radiators" if you will for the power steering, trans, and then the radiator for the engine. Fortunately I have never run into any animals on the road. I might as well just shut it down if that happens. I know on my s10 that had a v6 it had the shared cooler with the radiator. I'm all for keeping every part of the engine cool. They work hard.

2010 Zinger 31SB
tabrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote