Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just bought a new 2010 Zinger ZT 19RD, and it's a very nice trailer. There is a problem, however, with the tongue weight.
The fresh water tank is mounted very close to the nose of the trailer, and when it's full (40 gal), the tongue weight is over 1100 lbs, with just the propane, batteries (2 6v) and water. That's a lot of tongue weight for 4500 lbs total trailer weight.
The trailer has this absolutely CAVERNOUS front storage area, but I can't put an ounce in there, because the tongue is already seriously overweight.

I tried stacking a couple hundred pounds of stuff at the very back of the interior of the trailer, and that got the tongue to about 1000 lbs, still about 22% of the total weight.
Anybody else have this problem, any solutions?

Thanks, Dave

Davefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Inless you are a boondocker travel with 5 gal. of water and if you can or have to fill tank when you arive
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Total boondocker, that's about all we do. Very disappointed in the location of the fresh water tank. Hard for me to believe that some engineer checked off on this design. Fresh water tank should be near the axles, so it doesn't matter for balance. Something for shoppers to consider. (I never thought about it, until too late).

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Have you contacted CR to see if it's possible to have the tank relocated? However, given the short wheel base of the 19RD you may problems either way. If the fresh water is in the back of the axle, you'll consume it and the water then be residing in front of the axle in the BW and GW tanks.

Also what your tow vehicle? You may still ok with proper weight distribution.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I did speak with one of the folks at CR, and he recommended moving the tank. I think that's the best idea. Even after using all the water, and putting it in the gray and black, it's an improvement over all of it being right in the nose. I'm hoping my dealer will give me a break on the costs of moving it.

I have an F150, so I can handle 1000 lbs okay, but I'd like to stay with 12-15% tongue weight as recommended.

AND, I'd like to use the front storage.
That's what really fries my bacon. I've got this huge front storage area, and no way to use it.

It's just a real shame they didn't put the tank in the right place to start with. To me, it seems really a poor engineering decision to have the tongue so overloaded, with no gear aboard whatsoever.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

My tank is next to rear bumper underneath.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Dang I didn't know that the tongue weight was that high. We have a 2009 ZT19RD. We pull it with a 2008 F150 with a 4.2L V6. If that's the case I am way over weight. Trust me my wife puts a crap load of stuff up front in the holding area.
I think dry weight is like 535 pounds.
Good luck

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Yeah, it shocked me.

I just makes sense when you add everything up, but I never suspected it until I hit the scales.
If your fresh water tank is in the nose like mine, and you add the propane, batteries, and 381 lbs of water to the 535 lbs, then you are over 1000 lbs without anything in your storage compartment or your interior compartments.

Hopefully you have a strong WD hitch.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have the same Zinger. I have no idea where the water tank is located. The bottom is closed in. We use a weight distribution and anti-sway bar. Since we don't boondock we only carry about 10g of water with us. Enough to make coffee, use the commode and wash our hands along the way. We do use the up-front storage area. We pull ours with a large GMC van. We love our little Zinger. It's not perfect but nothing is.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefitz
I did speak with one of the folks at CR, and he recommended moving the tank. I think that's the best idea. Even after using all the water, and putting it in the gray and black, it's an improvement over all of it being right in the nose. I'm hoping my dealer will give me a break on the costs of moving it.

I have an F150, so I can handle 1000 lbs okay, but I'd like to stay with 12-15% tongue weight as recommended.

AND, I'd like to use the front storage.
That's what really fries my bacon. I've got this huge front storage area, and no way to use it.

It's just a real shame they didn't put the tank in the right place to start with. To me, it seems really a poor engineering decision to have the tongue so overloaded, with no gear aboard whatsoever.

Where will they move it to? We have the same problem so just carry 1/3 of a tank with us. Crossroads should do it for free. It's their design flaw, not yours or mine.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I had them move it to a spot behind the axles. There's a perfect location almost at the back of the frame. It makes a lot of difference. The fill line came through the floor and out the wall underneath the couch, just behind the furnace. The service technician said it was a pretty easy move. The weight distribution is perfect now. Although, coming home with an empty fresh, and full black and gray, it gets a little tongue heavy again.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Wow I also have a Zinger ZT19RD 2009. If I knew this I wouldn't of bought it. I've been learning a lot. One thing do your own home work and not listen to a salesperson.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to move it? Sounds like a design flaw. Can we say class action law suite? Just kidding. We do love our trailer. I just need to talk the wife in letting me buy a bigger truck
LETS GO CAMPING!!

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefitz
I had them move it to a spot behind the axles. There's a perfect location almost at the back of the frame. It makes a lot of difference. The fill line came through the floor and out the wall underneath the couch, just behind the furnace. The service technician said it was a pretty easy move. The weight distribution is perfect now. Although, coming home with an empty fresh, and full black and gray, it gets a little tongue heavy again.
I'm curious as to why you don't dump the waste water when you leave the CG. Or stop somewhere with a dump station. We have our own "dump" station here at home but always dump at the CG unless the line is outrageously long.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We don't usually stay in campgrounds, and we do stop at the first available dump on the way home. It's not a big deal really, the big problem was fixed by moving the fresh water. I'm getting the feeling I'm a little eccentric in paying so much attention to the balance of my trailer. Maybe it's not such a big deal, but this is my first trailer of any size, and I want to be safe.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
Site Team

No, You're not being even a little "eccentric". You're just being cautious, and that's good. In the long run it might keep you out of trouble.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I agree with farmer. Untill this camper is set up the way you need it your not going to feel comfortable with it.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

We just bought a 2010 19RD about 3 weeks ago and I didn't realize the tank was in the nose, either. I also didn't realize that the dealer had filled the tank prior to delivery, since the monitor does not work for fresh.(among several problems with the unit.)We found out when we attempted to fill it when we arrived at our first stop, which was a week of dry camping. It took about 2 gallons and started spitting back. Has anyone actually measured the capacity of the gray and black water tanks? I know the brochure says all three are 40 gallons, But I'd like to be sure.

The weight wasn't really that noticeable since we tow with a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4X4 with the factory HD tow package.

I guess we'll find out shortly what kind of "service" the dealer willprovide after the sale.

I'd also like to hear from Davefitz as to whether Crossroads paid to move the tank or, if not, what it cost to do it.
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote