Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Good morning everyone. Just looking for some ideas here. I have a 2010 zt19rd. Here in Indiana we've had a lot of rain this spring/summer. My ZT19rd has remained high and dry, except for the two rains that I'd classify as torrential. On those two occasions I had water from the midpoint of the wheelwell--inside the electrical cord storage area (left side of trailer) to the back of the trailer...under the couch, into the "hallway" between the couch and the dinette...but stopping short of the dinette storage area. No indication where it came from. I've been all around trailer checking the seams etc. from a ladder and find absolutely nothing. The wood under the refrigerator remains dry so I've pretty well ruled it out that it's coming from the refer vent....we've had some pretty good rains here and it remained dry--but--on these two occasions when it just flat poured I had water coming in....which leads me to believe it's not a normal water leak...and likelywill be very hard to detect. Any ideas? The drains in the window frames are clear... It's sitting on a level pad and is sitting "very level". Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
New Camper

Not sure if this would be related but I had a "window leak" that wasn't a problem with the window. I siliconed the whole window shut and it still came in.Fast forward to finding the problem was 7 or more missing screws on the top rail on the side of the roof (sorry don't really know the terminology, it's the area where the awning connects that is covered by a vinyl beauty strip). I took every screw out one by one and siliconed the hole and then reinserted the screw. Also replacing the missing screws
MrOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I had the same sort of problem, although mine was leaking into my forward storage area from above the hatch. After quite a bit of searching I also discovered screws behind the vinyl molding insert trim along roof-line missing. I believe it is shoddy workmanship, and here is why. On my unit where the screws were missing, there was nothing to hold a screw. However, rather than fill the hole and make it weathertight, iit was just covered up with the vinyl trim. When water gets behind the vinyl trim (which is obvious if you remove it immediately after a rain) the path of least resistance was in through those vacant screw holes and down through the wall.

I've also had two other leaks where there was a gap in the caulking. One above my large storage locker and another above my bunkhouse slideout. It's really a shame that for the $30K+ you drop on one of these that you can't expect better attention to detail or reasonable assurance of quality. Live and learn.

2006 Zinger 32SB
CamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to pull that trim out without really "disrupting" things. I checked that area after your replies and the "trim" looks really well sealed, I hate to cause another problem trying to take care of original. Sounds like more rain tonight...may have to "watch". Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We had some leaks, took it to the dealer they pressure tested our rig by putting a large blower over a vent closed the rig up then with a soapy wand went around the outside and marked everywhere the air was coming out, we were amazed at where the leaks were, no where near where we thought they were

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote