Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

'14 Sunset Trail Reserve: Positive Changes

Has anyone checked out the 2014 STR brochure? If not, you really should. I have to say I am impressed with some big changes I see for this production year. The STR went from being an "absolutely not" on my list to a very likely purchase option now. The only real drawback I see, which we can probably learn to live with and certainly isn't a drawback for everyone, is the smallish shower. My fiance is 6'2", and it's tight for him. My other concern in the bathroom is the "chintzy" shower curtain. I wonder how long it will be before that needs replaced. Anyhow, ...

• Firstly, they got rid of that dark cap! VERY smart move, CR. Some of you may remember that I posted a review of our walk-through of the '13 STR over the summer, and we couldn't believe how hot it was in that RV compared to all the other RVs we walked through that day. We couldn't get outta there fast enough!
  • I really like what they have done to the overall exterior. It's pretty sharp!
  • They REALLY bumped up the insulation values! This was another drawback for us for the pre-'14 STR. I really appreciate that they broke down the RV construction in the brochure to show what they put in and where they put it in. The floor insulation is an impressive R-42, the roof is R-28 (not great but not bad), and they even insulated the front and rear caps with R-21. Walls are R-9 foam, which is pretty typical.

Overall, nice job on some important improvements. The STR floor plans are amongst my favorite because most include an outdoor kitchen. I still really like the Cruiser CF345BH, but now we have more choices. The outdoor kitchen is a big plus to us since we will spend nearly all our time outside anyhow.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Funny I much prefer the dark cap, never had any issues with too much heat but we are in Nor Cal.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5 View Post
Funny I much prefer the dark cap, never had any issues with too much heat but we are in Nor Cal.
Hi Beamer5. You and I had quite a discussion in another thread I had posted...my review of the Sunset Trail.

I understand you prefer the aesthetics of the dark color. To each his own, right. But, being the practical woman that I am, I must point out two practical matters pertaining to the dark color cap.

There have been many comments and posts regarding the fading of this dark cap. While the fading is aesthetic, it also presents problems to the owner. If the unit is still under warranty, the owner has to go through the hassle of getting the RV back to the dealer, or wherever, to get the issue taken care of, no? And if it's not under warranty, well...who wants to pay for it out of pocket?

Secondly, while the dark cap may not affect you in SoCal, there are many areas of the country where it will only attract intense heat to the RV. It's just a fact. That's fine for the winter I suppose, but not such a good idea in the hot summers of a PA or any of the more southern locations.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I believe they are getting a little wild with those R factor ratings of R14 out of Flex Foil.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

No debating here, regardless of any issues I prefer the dark cap. Just personal preference, be nice if they let people order and choose between the two.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Those R-Values are full BS. Anyone with an architectural or engineering background laughs when these manufacturers make such ridiculous claims.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Those R-Values are full BS. Anyone with an architectural or engineering background laughs when these manufacturers make such ridiculous claims.
X2 oops must be 10 characters on the new forum so, X2 X2 X2 X2. There, that makes it 10.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I would doubt those R values? Mine seems to heat and cool just fine. I have the dark cap and like it. I did see the new yellow/crème colored cap at the dealer a while back. It kinda matches the side color. It looked good but I think I prefer the brown. No issue with fading so far. Time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan
I got the lighter color cap but I think the darker looks better.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I'm thinking of having my very faded dark cap painted to match the rest of the exterior.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I live live in Louisiana. I have the dark cap and notice no xs heat. Faux issue in my opinion. And it looks better too.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I just got my 2014 29SS with the dark cap, I too like the looks of it better. I knew going into it that fading could be an issue, so I already put on a coat of quality wax on it, and the entire unit for that matter. My plan is to wax it about every six months, as I live in South Texas and the summers are brutal down here.

Shoalwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Wow. I regret that I posted anything at all here. I don't think I quite fit in here.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
Wow. I regret that I posted anything at all here. I don't think I quite fit in here.
Well that is to bad Bobbi...everybody has there own opinion. Hope you love your TT and continue to share your experience.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Site Team

Thumbs up Keep on posting

Bobbi, This forum is an opportunity to post your likes and dislikes. Don't take it personally. My first posting did not get the reaction that I'd hoped for but that didn't stop me from continuing to post. An opinion is what one thinks or judges something. Don't give up. WE ALL FIT IN HERE. Continue to post you opinions. We don't all agree on every issue and NEVER will.
Good luck and hope to see future postings from you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I have the dark cap, it was replaced by crossroads due to cracks caused by over torqued screws.

I like the dark color, looks nice gets lots of compliments.

As far as heat I don't notice it.

I know from installing my front air and having part of the cabinets out , the front is packed with lots of insulation.

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Bobbi, This forum is an opportunity to post your likes and dislikes. Don't take it personally. My first posting did not get the reaction that I'd hoped for but that didn't stop me from continuing to post. An opinion is what one thinks or judges something. Don't give up. WE ALL FIT IN HERE. Continue to post you opinions. We don't all agree on every issue and NEVER will.
Good luck and hope to see future postings from you.
Good post Mark. Excellent explanation.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

X2 Mark. This forum is an awesome place to hear point of views.

Sometimes, we have an opinion until we read another's point of view...then we stop and say "huh...never looked at it from that angle..." Always good information, even if you don't agree with all of it.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Here's the thing: There are great differences between opinions and facts. If I say red is prettier than blue, that's just my opinion. But then there are scientific facts.

What is a fact is that dark colors attract light that is then turned into heat by some scientific process I don't understand anymore than I understand gravity -- but it is nevertheless scientific fact. Anyone who has ever been to the Bahamas can tell you that one of the first things you notice is all the pastel colored buildings. They are pastel colored for a reason. Light colors deflect sunlight; dark colors absorb it. And that light is absorbed and emitted as heat. This is scientific fact. So it would make absolutely no sense to me, whether or not I think dark brown is prettier than light tan, to put myself in a dark box during the summer. To each his own of course, but that is just not logical unless I will only be camping in a very cold region that gets plenty of sunlight. Then it would be completely logical.

If anyone is interested in an expanded, but in layman's terms explanation, I have included a link to an eHow article on this subject here: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7615191_da...sorb-heat.html.

I have spent quite a bit of time perusing this forum for research, and problems with these caps/warranty issues have been reported a number of times. Perhaps that is why CR changed it.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Site Team

You won't get any argument from me.
If you want one with a white cap then by all means that is exactly what you should shoot for.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote