Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just returned from a vacation that had a rocky start. I have a 2007 Sunset Trail 29RL trailer that I just bought this spring, it had only been purchased new six months previously by a fellow that traded it right back for a fth wheel - less than 3000 miles on it.

About 150 miles into the trip I pulled over for a rest stop and smelled something hot. It turned out that the front right wheel was smoking and the wheel axle looked destroyed. I contacted a local trailer outfit that explained how I could block that wheel up limp it to their shop which worked fine. When he started to take things apart he shook his head and said in his opinion the 3500# axles on this size of trailer were definately too small and he stated he would never own one without replacing them with stronger axles. He new I was just passing through so he wasn't fishing for new work I believe. He replace the stub axle with a new one, greased all the bearing and sent me on the way. The rest of the 2,000 mile trip went uneventful except a tire blowout.

I'm not extremely mechanically inclined but I'm getting concerned if I can trust the undercarrage on my trialer or not. We're getting close to retirement and I'm worried if I need to make some changes before we really start using this trailer.

Any comments from the more experienced folks (than me) would be greatly appreciated. Other than the axles and wheels we love the trailer.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

What is the GVWR of your Trailer?
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

7760#
Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

In your case you have axles that can carry 7000# plus another 1000# on the tongue = 8000#. Strickly going by the math you are ok but I really wish the TT manufactures would not cut it so close. I am currently replacing the axles on my 2011 with heavier ones becausethey are bent.
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had axle problems with my 2012 ST26BH - similarly equipped as your '07 with 3700lb axles, also with a GVWR of 7700lbs. I had it in for some other maintenance, and asked the technicians to look into some significant wheel twisting when I was maneuvering with the trailer. Ends up the axles were "out of spec" and were replaced by Lippert. I ended up with 2 5200lb axles now. I'm pretty happy about that - it was purely Lippert's decision to put heavier axles on the trailer.