Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
New Camper

I want to preface this post by stating, for the most part, I love my trailer, especially the layout... it's just that the love is a little difficult sometimes

I bought a 2010 Sunset Trail in June of 2011... I didn't feel I needed the New Reserve Model, the idea of a fireplace in my trailer, when I don't have one in my house just seemed wrong on so many levels.

My local dealer didn't have the 2010 model, only the reserve. But another dealer 90 minutes away did... and the price was better so I bought that one.

Whatever money I saved on buying the previous model though was spent on gas on trips back and forth to the dealer... when people say buy local... there's a reason.

I had some problems with my slide, and by some, I mean always did.

The first trip out, the slide went out, but something was wrong, I kept shorting fuses. Turns out a wire was hitting the lower runner on the back side and it got stripped and kept shorting out. When the weekend was over, the slide wouldn't retracked (after fixing the wiring). Took two guys outside pushing and lifting a bit to get the slide in... not a great first impression. Brought it back to the dealer instead of heading home... they told me the fixed it.

Not to go into too many details, but the trailer spent more time at the dealer in the next four months than it did in my possession, and i brought it back 8 times over that span... The worst was when the slide came back in after a 2 week vacation... or rather the top did, but the bottom didn't. Completely ripped up my floor...

Not a great first impression to say the least.

The dealer ended up completely rebuilding the slide. They said it now had twice the rollers it did before... I'm sure that added weight to my lite-weight trailer mind you.

Last year, I had no issues with the trailer... zero.. zilch. But not one trip went by where I wasn't waiting for the slide to cause me issues... not the stress release I was hoping for when camping. My initial season has got me completely concerned all the time.

So... the question...

I find the trailer to not be very stable. I make sure the trailer is level front to back and side to side. But that slide is massive... and it hangs a long way. And I keep wondering if the lite weight stabilizer jacks are enough for the trailer.

Was talking to family this past weekend and they said I should definitely get a slide support... which is contrary to everything you read on the forums... and in my mind could create an issue if the trailer settles, and the slides stays up. Suddenly I'm going to have issues again.

Does anyone have any trailer stabilization suggestions for this model? Something to make me enjoy the camping a bit more again?

Thanks in advance...
DW
DS
DS
DS
Whiney Dog (gone and missed)
dsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you have not had a very good initiation into RVing.
First off---if you are ever going to be able enjoy that trailer, you have to stop being paranoid about something going to h++l every time you use it. Just enjoy the moment and deal with a problem when or if it arises.
I say--no supports under the slide!!!!!!!! I don't care off big it is.
If you are wanting to stabilize the trailer as far as the movement I'm sure you are experiencing when some one is moving around inside. Then I recommend install a set of stabilizers. There is a few different ones out there, but this is what I put on our rig.
http://www.plugitright.com/RVStabilizer.html

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Old Farmer... I'll look into those stabilizers.

Agree I have to get past concerns over my trailer... but once bitten twice shy and all that...

And my dealer saw me a lot more than 2 times in my first 4 months.
DW
DS
DS
DS
Whiney Dog (gone and missed)
dsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote